Thursday, October 06, 2005

Hide you daughters, the Rebel Horde is at the Gates:

(and other words to live by)

Thought for Today:
Don't tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results.
George S. Patton

On No-Love Thursday:
lads for the regt.
Yes, dear reader it’s once again that time of week when the righteous unfurl their banners and charge off into a mean spirited hedonistic drinking orgy known simply as “No-Love-Thursday”.

However, I will not count myself within their numbers this brisk October day. I say unto you, members of this most elite of drinking clubs, charge on dear souls without me, but know that in spirit I to am sitting there with you at the bar, being bitter and hurtful to all who venture in.

I say to you my fellow members the words the Spartan mothers said lovingly to their sons as they sent them off to the wars: “Come home with your shield or on it” (yes, it kind of makes me tear up as well, much like today’s, “Mommy does not give rides home from the game to losers”).

On What I will be doing instead:
white trash party
As for myself, I find that my freedom of movement somewhat curtailed, tonight my loving and petite little flower, has plans for us. There is a party being held in her honor at a dance club on the trendy northeast side of River City, replete with free appetizers and beer. This event is being held to celebrate her 5 years of painful service to the rock and roll industry and her promotion to a less insanity producing position within the same organization.

It is my understanding that the event will be a more of a “roast” in nature and presentation. So, I get to sit there eating cocktail weenies and drinking keg Bud beer, while people I don’t really care for expresses their feelings for by bride through stories that should best be left untold, at least in the presence of her husband (myself), whom it is well known is prone to violence.

Yes, dear reader I see the night going something like this: “Remember the time she did the whole road crew of Slayer?” “How about the time she did those lines of coke off the teenage groupies ass” or "Remember the night she threw cups full of her own urine on the heads of the audience and they thought it was beer and cheered her on?” “Damn, were you there the night her and Leta Ford got it on hard-core leather-style in the green room?” and my favorite “How about the time Joe Bonamassa gave her crabs?”

Dear reader, how can I not be looking forward to it? For those of you, who are my friends, please keep in mind that there is a possibility that I might be contacting you in an effort to gain bail money by nights end.

Your Recipes for the Week:
(I am hungry this morning and home sick, so here are two South Carolina Low Country favorites of mine)

Purloo (say Purr-Low)
3 slices bacon,
chopped 1 medium onion,
chopped 1 medium-size green pepper,
chopped 1 cup thinly sliced okra
1 clove garlic,
minced 1 cup cooked ham (about 3 ounces) julienned
3 cups cooked rice
1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Cook bacon over medium heat in large skillet until brown; drain fat. Stir in onion, pepper, okra and garlic; saute 2 to 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add ham; continue cooking 3 minutes. Add rice, tomato, thyme, salt, bail and pepper flakes. Heat thoroughly; serve as a side dish or a main dish.Makes 4 servings.

Frogmore Stew
Ingredients
3Tbsp. Old Bay Seasoning
3Tbsp.Salt
1 1/2 gallons water
2lbs. Keilbasa or smoked sausage
12 Ears shucked corn broken into 3 - 4 inch pieces
4 lbs. shrimp in shells

Directions
In a large stock pot, add the seasonings to the water and bring to a boil. Add sausage and boil, uncovered, five minutes. Add corn and count five minutes (begin counting immediately, don't wait until water is boiling). Add shrimp and count three minutes. Drain immediately.

Day 8 of the “JQP’s First Annual Viewers Choice Awardsfor “Tattoo of the Year”.
Send your to indianacityboy@yahoo.com if your cool....

On Tunes:
For the last two days I have been listening to some new CDs of the following unknown giants of the world of music:
http://www.revgarydavis.com/
http://www.begoodtanyas.com/ (I have a crush on the redhead)
http://www.1946band.com/
http://www.sexmobmusic.com/

Today’s Bill:
"Is whispering nothing?
Is leaning cheek to cheek? is meeting noses?"
--The Winter's Tale (I, ii, 284-285)

Quote for the Day:
The essence of all jokes, of all comedy, seems to be an honest or well intended halfness; a non performance of that which is pretended to be performed, at the same time that one is giving loud pledges of performance. The balking of the intellect, is comedy and it announces itself in the pleasant spasms we call laughter.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I remain, much like a dose of Gynelotrimin, for your itchy moral code:

JQP esq.