Monday, June 13, 2005

Rainy Days and Sundays always get me down:

Thought for the Day:
I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine.
Bertrand Russell English author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)

The Weekend Review:
Need I say it; Friday night started out as a “just one drink, after work” with the crew and ended up stopping at the Rugby tournament warm-up party at 7 am Saturday morning. Mistakes were made and copious amounts of alcohol were a factor. We are all getting much to old for this kind of behavior, much to much… but has my sweet and loving wife is fond of saying “growing up, leads to dying”. It was good to see my Rugby friends from all over again.

Saturday was a “sleep” in day, for reasons that are obvious to you the reader. Most of the day Saturday, I had a fever of undetermined origin, which is not usual for me, since in my youth I felt I was invulnerable to injury and disease. (Word of advice: if you are ever hiking through Sub-Saharan Africa, take the blue pills, and don’t drink the water). Later in the evening we joined a small group of friends for a dinner celebrating Mrs. Pastor Bob’s birthday, after which my pretty bride and I returned to the estate.

Sunday we went to early Mass and while walking out I slipped (or as Mrs. JQP said: “there was a snap and down you went”. Needless to say I had to cancel the line-dancing class I teach on Sunday nights at the CYO. As a result of that stroke of divine retribution, I spent the rest of the day in ice packs and heavily medicated. I read some Spalding Grey, and listened to several new CD’s I got of French café music from the 20’s and 30’s.

This morning I woke at 4am, and enjoyed poached eggs and black toast, with a cup of Earl Grey and read my six newspapers, now I once again must head off to the front, such is my life.

Two points of Interest:
I listened to NPR this morning talking about the USMC’s arrest of American independent military contractors (what we used to call, mercenaries). I seems from the report they had shot off a few rounds to close to the Marines, so they captured them and then beat ‘em up a wee’ bit (in one case involving the crushing of a man’s nuts).

Anyone else catch that one? Ok, I guess my point would be where in the fuck is the command and control of these troops? They are Marines; those boys don’t shit unless they are told to. They are trained to follow orders, because if they don’t people get killed. So, once again my prediction is that if there is an investigation they will hang some Lance Corporal out to dry and the officers and senior NCO’s will walk, just like the Army did with the prison scandal.

And how about this gem?
File it away in the better late than never section: "WASHINGTON - The Senate seldom says it's sorry, although it is now ready to officially express its remorse over the failure to outlaw lynching in the United States. A resolution that the chamber was likely to take up Monday voices regret for the Senate's unwillingness for years to pass a law stopping a crime that cost the lives of over 4,700 people, mostly blacks, between 1882 and 1968."

Things in the News that made me Think:
Now with my up coming surgery this one caught my attention: RALEIGH, N.C. - About 3,800 patients at two hospitals run by Duke University Health System were operated on last year with instruments that were washed in hydraulic fluid instead of detergent, hospital regulators said.

Duke Health Raleigh and Durham Regional hospitals put patients in "immediate jeopardy" in November and December by not detecting the problem, despite complaints from medical staff about slick tools, according to a report by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. The hospitals did not fix the problem for weeks, said the agency, which oversees patient care at hospitals that receive payments from federal insurance programs. The mix-up apparently occurred when an elevator company drained hydraulic fluid into empty detergent barrels last summer. The detergent supplier later picked up the barrels and mistakenly redistributed them as washing fluid.

Ok, having changed a few transmissions (with varying degrees of success) I am wondering how in the hell a "smart" person who went to medical school couldn’t tell the difference between hydraulic fluid and detergent? Even at the med school I attended in the Bahamas, we had a class on that.

On Politics:
This made me giggle, “WASHINGTON - Howard Dean is "over the top," Vice President Dick Cheney says, calling the Democrats' chairman "not the kind of individual you want to have representing your political party."

"I've never been able to understand his appeal. Maybe his mother loved him, but I've never met anybody who does. He's never won anything, as best I can tell," Cheney said in an interview to be aired Monday on Fox News Channel's "Hannity & Colmes." Aka; “Dumb and Dumber”.
Please however note that "Dean was elected governor of Vermont five times between 1992 and 2000. He ran for the 2004 Democratic presidential nomination but closed down his campaign after poor showings in early primaries."

Damn, oh boy, shit. Now, I am not a huge fan of Howard’s but he is really starting to get some brownie points with me, any day you can piss-off “old Crooked Dick Cheney” is a good one, as a result, Howard Dean gets today’s “JQP’s Good Citizen Award”.

Your Bill for the Day:
"Let every eye negotiate for itself
And trust no agent; for beauty is a witch
Against whose charms faith melteth in blood."
--From Much Ado About Nothing (II, i, 178-180)
(truer words where never spoken)

Quote of the Day:
Mistakes are the portals of discovery.
James Joyce Irish author (1882 - 1941)

I remain, living by the mantra “slippery when wet”:

JQP esq.