Tuesday, June 07, 2005

The lights just went out here in the bunker:

Thought for the Day:
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Our Weekend was a quiet one here in River City:

On Friday:
I engaged the services of a neighborhood youth to mow my yard, it might have been easier if I had done it myself. But being civic minded, I took it upon myself to teach the young man the value of a days work. Now little did I know, he would take from 2:30 in the afternoon till 6:30 to mow my yard. Folks the yard is small, so small in fact I use an old reel mower (my sweet and loving wife says it’s because I am to cheap to spend money on gas, I do it because it’s the green thing to do).

Later, my kind and loving wife and I enjoyed a meal of Jerked Shrimp and rare sirloin steaks with a mango relish and corn on the cob. It was a fitting way to end the week.

Saturday:
We did some work in the yard early, I helping her as much as my crutches would allow. We then hit the showers and went to a concert that she had to work. The band is what she called a one hit baby band, “Theory of a Dead Man” Great kids, they played a few catchy love ballads, real toe tap'en. I felt old, these kids looked about the same age has the boy I had mow my lawn. Yes, I am out of that demographic now, time to turn on VH1. We left after eating our fill of free food and having a few drinks. We were at home in bed reading by 9:30.

Sunday:
We hit the early Mass and returned to the manor house, where my loving bride fixed a large breakfast that we ate in the back yard enjoying each others company and the Sunday paper. Later that afternoon, we went to a cook-out at the Vanilla’s. Johnny and his life partner Vic, were hosting a cookout for little Kevy. Also in attendance were Colorado Joe, and Vic’s brother East.

We sat in the sun drinking beers and eating grilled meats looking out over the sprawling estate that the Vanilla’s call home. After some time we decided to go swimming in the middle of a large thunderstorm, if you have never been, you should try it, however I would recommend the use of large amounts of alcohol before jumping in the water.

After a brief swim and rinsing off in the downpour, we decided to make the party into a movable feast. Off to the rugby bar we all went, needless to say…things went downhill from there. The drinking began, with lil’ Kevy, Vic and Mrs. JQP leading the way. Vic’s brother East, snuck out the back, about the same time Colorado Joe’s prim and proper young girlfriend joined or merry band. Kevin entertained the group with stories of his heroism and exploits.

After some time I got into a passionate discussion about my chosen profession of Garbage Truck driver, more on that at a later date. All in all, a good time. Many thanks! to our hosts the Vanilla’s. We left the party at around 8:30, leaving the crew to their own devices. I spent the rest of the night caring for my wife who became ill from drink.

Monday:
I woke to a major plumbing problem and took the day off work while the plumber came and roto-rooted out our pipes, then later in the day the AC took a dump, man I just love old houses. It was a good day to be off work, the weather is great and the flowers were in bloom. I read and napped and made some work calls, since my leg is feeling better and I can get around more, so I made a pizza for supper. My pretty wife and I were in bed by 8:00 (how grown-up).

Today:
Well, I am playing catch-up, I was going to be on the road but I got someone to cover that for me. I have done three state reports and am working on another, just another day in the service of my fellow man.

Court this afternoon and then home to an empty house since my wife will be busy betting on the Nat. Champ. Wennier Dog Races held every year in our fair city (she is a big fan and told me she would be late). I am sure I will find something to fill my time.

Your Bill for the Day:
"My only love sprung from my only hate!
Too early seen unknown, and known too late!"
--From Romeo and Juliet (I, v, 140-141)

Quote of the Day:
Mix a little foolishness with your prudence: It's good to be silly at the right moment. Horace Roman lyric poet & satirist (65 BC - 8 BC)

I remain, like the ever seeing eye:

JQP esq.