Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Pillows and dancing girls for me:

Thought for the Day:
Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives.
William James, US Pragmatist philosopher & psychologist (1842 - 1910)

Last Night:
I did my civic duty and helped a fund raiser for here at the orphanage where I volunteer. Selling tickets to win 5 grand at 5 bucks a pop. I have the record 4 years and running on sales. This year however, I am far behind. So, for a few hours after work, I sold tickets at bars and strip clubs, while not selling as many has I hoped, I did enjoy myself, it is after all “all for the children”.

I returned home (sober, hey I was working) and made cod on the grill with summer salad and sweet corn relish. Yet again, I could not sleep, this is day three of sleeping 2 to 3 hours a night, so I got up and worked on a few projects.

Today I swim with the Big Fish:
Today, I have to attend an all day conference put on by the great power house of education Notre Dame, with the key note being delivered by no less a leader than Giuliani, I guess that Ken Lay couldn’t make it and Powell was booked.

I hate these trainings, but I have to be there “to fly the flag etc..” I know they will feed me some kind of over cooked chicken and a hand full of green beans, plus make me sit on hard plastic chairs for hour upon hour. It would be a good time to bring a Gameboy. The things I do for the service of my fellow man.

Your Drinks of the Week:

“The Left-Coast Julep” or “Chang's Pear”
1 Tbspn Sugar 3 Lime Sections 5 Leaves of Mint 1 oz. Sour Apple Pucker 1.5 oz. Bacardi Limon Rum 1 oz. Pineapple Juice Club Soda Ice Muddle (mash) the lime, sugar and mint leaves together. Add the Sour Apple Pucker, Limon Rum, & Pineapple Juice and shake with ice. Pour into a tall glass (highball or Collins) top off with the club soda.

The Back Ward Punch
1 jigger Cheap Rye Whiskey
1 jigger Spiced Rum
1/4 jigger Grenadine
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
Shake with ice
Pour into glass
Fill with Soda
Garnish with Fruit

The Tropic of Cancer (Two thumbs up from JQP)
1/6 Rye
1/6 Sugar Syrup
1/6 Ouzo
1/6 Light Rum
1/6 Pernod
2 dash each Angostura and Orange Bitters
Shake with ice
Garnish with an olive and a cherry


(Enjoy)

Your Recipes for the Week:

Martini Pork Chops
4 center cut boneless pork chops
4 jiggers of gin
2 jiggers of vermouth
1 each medium red, yellow, and green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
1 medium yellow onion, sliced
1 tbsp. olive oil
Fresh ground black pepper

Place chops in a deep dish and rub with the olive oil. Place diced peppers and sliced onion in dish, heaping them on top of chops. Pour in gin and vermouth, and stir. Cover chops and refrigerate overnight, turning chops over and mixing liquid and veggies every 4-6 hours.

When you're ready to cook, oil your grill pan (or prepare your barbecue grill like normal). Reseason chops with salt and fresh ground pepper, and place in grill pan. Sear both sides and then cook each side for about five minutes. Place reserved peppers and onion mixture in pan and grill along with chops. Serve chops with grilled veggies on top.

Serves 4.

Roasted Potato Salad (you have to have some potatos)
2 lbs. potatoes
1 med. yellow onion, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp. flour
4 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. dried parsley (or 1 tbsp. fresh)
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp. light mayo
1 tbsp. dijon mustard

Peel and cut potatoes into quarters and parboil in salted water for three minutes, then drain. Mix the remaining ingredients, except for the lemon rind and juice, in a large bowl. Butter a baking dish and preheat oven to 450°. Toss potatoes with herbs and stuff and add to the baking dish. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes -- sprinkle grated lemon rind on top and return to oven for five minutes, or until potatoes are slightly browned and tender. Remove dish from oven and allow potatoes to cool. Cut potatoes into 1" chunks and toss in a bowl with 2 tbsp. light mayo and 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard. Cover and chill in fridge, garnish with chopped dried or fresh parsley.

Makes 6-8 servings.


Poem for the Week:

What would you fight for?

I am not sure I would always fight for my life.
Life might not be worth fighting for.

I am not sure I would always fight for my wife.
A wife isn't always worth fighting for.

Nor my children, nor my country, nor my fellow-men.
It all depends whether I found them worth fighting for.

The only thing men invariably fight for
Is their money. But I doubt if I'd fight for mine, anyhow
not to shed a lot of blood over it.

Yet one thing I do fight for, tooth and nail, all the time.
And that is my bit of inward peace, where I am at one
with myself.

And I must say, I am often worsted.

D.H. Lawrence

(That one made me stop and think last night)

Todays Bill:
"How poor are they that have not patience! What wound did ever heal but by degrees? Thou know'st we work by wit, and not by witchcraft; And wit depends on dilatory time."
--From Othello (II, iii, 376-379)

Quote of the Day:
His intelligence seized on a subject, his genius embraced it, his eloquence illuminated it.
Paterculus

With gravel in my gut and a bitter tear in my eyes, I remain:

JQP esq.