Wednesday, May 25, 2005

I sat sharping my knife in a darkened room, when I heard his foot steps at my door:

Thought for the Day:
The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.
Dorothy Parker, (attributed)
US author, humorist, poet, & wit (1893 - 1967)

On Mrs. JQP:
Well, dear reader, as many of you know the month of May has been a hard one at the House of Public. On my flowers birthday (two days after her party), she had a medical emergency that we are still dealing with. The sweet and loving Mrs. JQP is doing better and we now have an ob-gyn who is at least willing to sit down with us and explain things and options, which is better than where we were.

I however still worry about her; she pushes herself much too hard. I have to go to her appointments with her, so she doesn’t minimize her symptoms or the effects. My poor flower, I hate when people I love are hurting, as she says I do much better with pain, both physical and emotional than she does. Has a result, I wish that I could carry this all for her. She said last night, that sometimes it’s better to have never known what it would feel like to have a life that far along in you, because now she can feel it gone. There was nothing I could say to that, so I just held her and told her it would be ok. It was the longest we have ever gone in 5 years of trying, we had gotten to the point where its seems real and we where investing in it, funny how soon giggles and smiles can turn to tears.

On Surgery:
On Thursday I had my first knee surgery of the year, the least painful on the lot, and if this is the least pain, I am fucked. I do have to say those folks down in Indy got cutting a guy down to an art form, I was in and out. I have my follow-up appointment on Friday, to set up the big surgery.

I am getting a dead mans knee put in, which is kind of creepy I know. They called me on Monday and said they had a donor already, someone from Texas, odd, me walking around with some cowboy’s knee. Not to mention to religious ramifications, what do I on “All Souls Day”? Since this is an experimental surgery, there is going to be a crowd of doctors watching it. I understand the folks from Bethesda are coming, so lets hope they learn something that can help those troops coming home with fucked up legs.

My sweet and kind wife has been great through this, I can be just a bit grumpy (I know its hard to believe), but she has just been wonderful, especially with all the stuff she has had going on. Today is my first day back at work (even thought the doctor told me to stay home till next week, you know me I just can’t stay away from the job.

That and staying at home is driving me nuts, I don’t like the feeling I get on pain pills, and there is nothing good on TV, 168 channels with nothing on, however I have read 4 books since last Thursday. Nothing really note worthy, just chewing gum for the mind.

On the VA:
My friend Dave asked me about my thoughts on the VA, Dave and I served together in Africa years ago and he recently signed up for health care from the VA. Well Dave, the army and the VA are the reason my knees are in the shape they are (that and I have a habit of zigging when I should be zagging), but in all fairness the technology has changes a great deal from the time of my first injury. For routine medical care I think the VA is great, it’s a great place to get meds or to go if you have a cold, but over all I would never get a surgery there if I could help it.

Now I do want to give some props to those hard working health care providers, the government (W’s gang) is actively cutting funds and closing facilities. They have to make do with nothing at a time when we have more combat veterans than Vietnam, and we have not even started to address the Gulf War syndrome. It’s just another back door way the government screws the troops, it just that they don’t know it till they get discharged and find out the nearest place to get treatment is 175 miles away.

Yes, and other case of the rich get richer and the poor get fucked, but now they have the media and the preachers telling ‘em how good it is that the tax cuts for the rich are and anyone who says anything different is an enemy of the state.

Today’s Bill:

SONNET 76
Why is my verse so barren of new pride,
So far from variation or quick change?
Why with the time do I not glance aside
To new-found methods and to compounds strange?
Why write I still all one, ever the same,
And keep invention in a noted weed,
That every word doth almost tell my name,
Showing their birth and where they did proceed?
O, know, sweet love, I always write of you,
And you and love are still my argument;
So all my best is dressing old words new,
Spending again what is already spent:
For as the sun is daily new and old,
So is my love still telling what is told.

Quote for the Day:
Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.
H. L. Mencken
US editor (1880 - 1956)

On bent knee, I remain:

JQP esq.