Monday, June 20, 2005

I’ve Been Down so Goddamn long, it looks like up to me:

Thought for the Day:
Mistakes are the portals of discovery.
James Joyce Irish author (1882 - 1941)

Brief Weekend Review:
I happen to live in the summertime event capital of northeastern Indiana. This weekend it was Rib Fest, last week it was the Highland Games and Germanfest, this coming weekend its Greekfest (a personal favorite of yours truly, chiefly because I like hairy Mediterranean women).

Friday was spent in repose at a local watering hole, in an effort to conduct some business (more on that at a later date). Saturday, was a day spent (and I do mean spent, as in cash out of my pocket) enjoying ribs and pulled pork while drinking tall-boys and listening to the Blues.

Nether the food or the bands were particularly note worthy (I am after all a Blues man at heart and can cook some bad ass ribs). Sunday, it was off to early Mass (had to light a few candles for those not there), and then work on the house time, however I did make steaks and potatoes with peas and carrots, not to mention the fresh homemade biscuits, Happy Father’s to me a Non-Breeder.

On Haunting:
Both the sweet and loving Mrs. JQP and I found ourselves a bit depressed on Sunday, even while trying to busy ourselves with work at hand, for me I think it stems from the lost of my Father and Grandfather, my up coming surgery (being bed ridden for a month due to an experimental surgery, I would wager is not high on anyone’s list) and perhaps most telling, both my bride and I were going to announce her pregnancy on Fathers Day, sadly, very sadly, that did not turn out as we had hoped.

I spoke in the afternoon to J. Thom the Jazzman, our conversation turned toward getting older and some of the rather insane things we had done in the period of youthful indiscretion known as the decade of our 20’s, then on to the Blues we had listened to and how bad it was, at which point, J. Thom said “well, it must of not been that bad, it had you both bummed out today, the only thing wrong with ya’ll is ya got the blues, daddy-o” Point made and point taken.

However one of the draw backs to living such a colorful life as mine, is that at times it is rather easy to be haunted by things you have seen, done, had done to you, or that you have felt, haunted by history and un-fulfilled dreams, at times like this, I find it best for me to reflect on what I do have, and where God or Lady Luck has smiled on me, that and to remind myself, that I am no pussy, been there and done that, got the tee-shirt, so in a sense the words my Drill Sergeant taught me in my youth hold true today “Fuck-it, it ain’t nothing but a thing, suck-up and move on, All the Way, Everyday”.

Todays Bill:
SONNET 152
In loving thee thou know'st I am forsworn,
But thou art twice forsworn, to me love swearing,
In act thy bed-vow broke and new faith torn,
In vowing new hate after new love bearing.
But why of two oaths' breach do I accuse thee,
When I break twenty? I am perjured most;
For all my vows are oaths but to misuse thee
And all my honest faith in thee is lost,
For I have sworn deep oaths of thy deep kindness,
Oaths of thy love, thy truth, thy constancy,
And, to enlighten thee, gave eyes to blindness,
Or made them swear against the thing they see;
For I have sworn thee fair; more perjured I,
To swear against the truth so foul a lie!

Quote of the Day:
Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor.
Truman Capote US author (1924 - 1984)

Like sandbags against the rising flood, I remain:

JQP