Monday, March 07, 2005

Sign, Sign, everywhere a Sign:

Thought for the Day:
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. John Wayne US movie actor & director (1907 - 1979)

A brief Weekend Recap:

Friday
I went to a fish fry at one of the local Parishes and oddly enough was soon enlisted to help with the event, by the end of the evening I was in charge of the bar (silly, silly people) never the less I was able to disengage myself from my labors of serving beer for Jesus (I am sure he understood) and made my way to my favorite bar, where I joined several of my co-workers from here at the Meat-Packing-Plant.

Dear reader that is where the night becomes cloudy…mistakes were made and alcohol was a factor. A lesson learned was that; friends are much cheaper than taxi’s when you should not be driving.

Saturday:
I started out my day with a brisk walk 7 miles in length to retrieve my truck from the establishment that I had been so heinously over-served at the previous evening.

Upon my return to the manor, I was suppressed to see my Little Flower, sadly I did not have the time I had thought I would to clean our home in anticipation of her arrival, a point that was brought to my attention no less than 37 times.

Being that I was looking and feeling my best I felt a general retreat was in order, which myself and the hounds did. I busied myself in the kitchen making chili (I make some damn good chili). Just before noon, I got a call from my family that I should come down, that grandpa was failing, so I did, and he was…

I fed my extended family and spent some time with him.
Mrs. JQP was wonderful…I was thankful that she went with me, after her long trip to the Home of Country Music. That night, I had to fly off to a Sunday afternoon appointment in Portsmouth, NH where some people wanted to talk to me and talk we did. I even got some free meals out of the deal. Boston sucks to fly in and out of, btw….

Sunday,
In Portsmouth…don’t you just love waking up in a Holiday Inn? Add to that that you don’t have a car and you live a lifestyle that has a bit different hours than anyone else. So, I got to take the walking tour of costal Portsmouth (did I mention that its still winter up there? And I looked like a homeless person wondering the closed and darkened streets at dawn looking for food and coffee).

Later that afternoon I flew back to the Cultural Mecca that is Indiana, and once again my wife and I stormed down south to be with the family, where which of course I ended up cooking deer meat in the garage of a neighbor, drinking his home-made beer with about 34 member of my family and a few hanger-on’ers. Both my wife and I called it quits around 12:00 and where home in bed by 2AM this morning.

Monday:
Yes, my grandfather is still with us, I was asked to do funeral, no pressure there, however on a plus side I had taken him and pre-planed his last wishes two years ago, so that part should go easy. This morning, I am in meetings and hope to slide my skinny white ass out the door and get some sleep before I head back down south. All in all a normal weekend.


Your Poem for the Day:

The Kingfisher

IT was the Rainbow gave thee birth,
And left thee all her lovely hues;
And, as her mother's name was Tears,
So runs it in my blood to choose
For haunts the lonely pools, and keep
In company with trees that weep.

Go you and, with such glorious hues,
Live with proud peacocks in green parks;
On lawns as smooth as shining glass,
Let every feather show its marks;
Get thee on boughs and clap thy wings
Before the windows of proud kings.

Nay, lovely Bird, thou art not vain;
Thou hast no proud, ambitious mind;
I also love a quiet place
That's green, away from all mankind;
A lonely pool, and let a tree
Sigh with her bosom over me.

W.H. Davies

(Thanks to Mr. CC Morris, who sent me this poem along with the biography of the Late Great Governor Long, of Louisiana)


Quote of the Day:
You might as well fall flat on your face as lean over too far backward.
James Thurber US author, cartoonist, humorist, & satirist (1894 - 1961)

Off to the trenches, dear ones, with fixed bayonets, I remain:

JQP esq.