Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Nose Hair and Nail clippers:

Thought for the Day:
I've arrived at this outermost edge of my life by my own actions. Where I am is thoroughly unacceptable. Therefore, I must stop doing what I've been doing.
Alice Koller

On Tattoo John and life on the Big Island:
Some of you no doubt remember my dear friend and chum from my Eaton days, Tattoo John. John retuned this fall from a year long research project on coca production in Central America and recently had a paper published in a prestigious journal about his time spent with the primitive dung eating indigenous people of that region. He spent the fall, here in Indiana living in an unheated garage writing grants.

TJ's front yard

He was awarded a large grant to research sexual behaviors among third generation Asian Americans in the state of Hawaii

Tattoo John living on the Big Island
(sub-titled: Tattoo John on his way to a research site known as Sue Sue’s Health Spa-Open 24 hours, Visa and Master Card accepted)

My point being, that fucker always could write a better grant than me. He wouldn’t even sign me on as a research assistant.

On being a Bachelor for a week:
Well, I did what I thought I would do, I got drunk and took a cab home from the bar. Nice to get that out of the way.

The country music loving and sharing Mrs. JQP managed to call me every hour on the hour to tell me what a blast she was having and how good the food was (all food is good if someone else is picking up the tab). So far she seems to be enjoying this conference. I on the other hand am thinking about going and picking up one of gifts that Dobbs’s wife got him, he gives it high marks. (http://letaripper.blogspot.com/)


On Dying and Family:
Well, since several of you have been asking about my grandfather, I thought now would be a good time for an up-date. He is still with us; it is after all a family trait to be tenacious and at times stubborn.

However he has once again taken a turn for the worse. I have been very proud of my family and how they have all pulled together; we have all taken our turn caring for him and have been able to keep him at home.

15 Days till St. Paddy's Day:
God then made man.
The Italian for their beauty.
The French for fine food.
The German for pig-headedness
The Swedes for intelligence.
The English for foolishness
The Spanish for Dance
The Jew for religion.
And on and on until he looked at whathe had created and said,
"This is all very fine but no one is having fun.

I guess I'll have to make me an Irishman."

Your Bill for the Day:
"Some Cupid kills with arrows, some with traps."
--From Much Ado About Nothing (III, i, 106)

Quote for the Day:
It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.
Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan, 1892, Act I

I remain, as always, very much a dynamic person:

JQP
Rear Admiral, Ret.
US coast Guard