Thursday, August 03, 2006

Recipes for the week:

2005-buffalo

Someone gave me 5 lbs. of Buffalo last night. Why you might ask? Hell, I asked myself that same thing, who the fuck knows, but since I am entered in a chili cook off next week and am a cheap ass, I thought what that fuck I will be cooking me some of JQP’s World Famous Buffalo Chili. Since I am only going to need about a pound and a half, I think I will BBQ the rest. So here are some recipes from my wild game good eating vaults (Note: these recipes are also good for any wild game and/or cheap tough meat):

JQP’s Buffalo Chili: (TM pending)

1 1/2 lbs Buffalo
1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce or V-8
1 (29 ounce) can kidney beans (drained)
1 (29 ounce) can pinto beans (drained)
1 (29 ounce) can of Black Beans (not drained)
1 onion (1 large red onion)
1 diced Habanero pepper
6 diced Hungarian Wax peppers
1/4 cup wild rice
6 medium Roma tomatoes, chopped
2 teaspoons cumin powder
3 tablespoons chili powder
3 tablespoons coca powder
4 shots of cheap rye whisky
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups water
1 tablespoon of Allspice
1 bottle of dark beer
¼ cup cane sugar

Cut the buffalo up into small bits and pieces, toss in the beer, peppers, sugar, and onions cook on med. heat stirring often, until your eyes start to tear-up, then add all the rest. Cook all day on low heat stirring every now and then (I often drink the other 5 beers left over from the six pack), about two hours after it started smelling like some damn good chili, its done. With this recipe you will win first prize at the State Fair just like me.

JQP Brand BBQ Buffalo:

1/4 cup distilled water
1/8 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
4 tablespoons of course ground Black Pepper
1 pound of thick hickory smoked bacon (cooked and crumbled)
3 tablespoons Old Bay
6 tablespoons lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cans (6 to 8 oz.) tomato paste
1 cup brown sugar
1 can of refried beans
4 Jalapeno peppers (minced)

I perfected this recipe in both South Africa and Wyoming, it works just as well on domestic bison as it does on Cape Buffalo, however I have never tried on on Water Buffalo during any of my frequent trips to SE Asia. Roll the meat with the sugar and blk pepper, brown it. Then toss every thing else in the pot (I use a Dutch Oven, set on fresh coals, covered) stir every 2 hours so the meat gets good and coated and everyone gets to know one another. About 6 hours later pull the meat out; let it rest about 10 mins. cut it up and serve with the sauce poured over it. I am famous among big game hunter all over the world for this, now you can be too!