Thursday, November 03, 2005

It’s Once Again No-Love-Thursday:

Thought for the Day:
A prince never lacks legitimate reasons to break his promise.
Niccolo Machiavelli

IRAQ Duck
(Oddly, Freedom for Ali meant being able to have his very own Rubber Duck)

NLT Club Business:
Today is the Day for the meeting of the No-Love-Thursday Drinking Club and Mutual Aid Society. I plan to stop by for one or two after work but have neither the desire or the ability to make the hard hang. I have not heard the plans of other members but I believe that Pastor Bob and M. Chamberlain Newspaper Man, are planning the same. Moderation is my watch word, no naked beer slides, bitter infighting (ok, thats a given) wet T-Shirt Contests or fist fights planed. Hey, Giant Irishman, if you’re reading this, call Mrs. JQP she still needs a crane with a 150 foot boom (funny, but there is no pun with that statement.

Weekend Party:
My loving bride and I had hoped to host a Notre Dame party this weekend but sadly we must beg off this course of action. Work and family commitments have trumped our desire to entertain. We send our apologies to the countless citizens of this noble land who had been looking forward to this the social event of the season.

Rest easy, it is our hope to reschedule at the earliest possible date. (The real reason is our fear of contracting Avian Flu, from the countless unwashed masses who gather at the gates of our compound every time we have a party, in hopes of getting autographs and/or photos of their idols and role models).

No-Love for Everyone, my views on a variety of subjects:
The Top Court. W names a right wing fucking fruit cake to take Sandy’s job on the court. Those of you who are frequent readers know all to well my feelings on the Supreme Court. My question is why is anyone surprised, hell I could have called that without the use of my Magic Eight Ball. I actually understand the move, I given the power; I would do the same thing. Yes, I am that kind of prick. The boy-king didn’t get his own way, with his appointment of Harriet the Troll Boot Licker, so he pouts and then goes and beats up the retarded kid down the block, in this case the Democratic Party.

The Democratic Party, first off decide who you will represent and then I will tell you if you remain relevant. Actors, just because you had a good screen test and star in some made for cable movies does not mean your views on the current social and political events of the day merit review, nor should they make you a spokes person for me and my political party.

Being a Liberal is not a bad thing but you have let the opposition define it for you and the public at large. Fuck, I consider myself a liberal, but even I shy away from the term do to the fact that the average person automatically discounts what you say if you say it under that banner. Moving on with a theme, if the party nominates Hillary, my bets are on that being the end of the democrats as we know it. I don’t know if that’s a good thing or bad.

The Anti-War Movement, once again, you let the opposition define the position you take. Having a pierced lip, pink Mohawk wearing, 20 year old as your spokes person is not going to make most of the country think, “my, that young lady has made some very valid criticisms of the Iraq strategy.” If you want to win normal people over, in my opinion its easier if they can identify with you. The biggest thing that pisses me off is I don’t know anyone in the movement who is anti-troop, however ask any of my local red state citizens and they will tell you that the anti-war folks are spiting on soldiers and calling them baby killers.

A clue for both the Dems. and the Anti-War folks. One of the major tenets of human services is to met your client where they are at, not where your are, or where you want them to be, but where they are. It’s much easier to walk along with, than to push, or pull someone.

Parents, I was in a local middle school a few weeks ago and folks the things parents let their daughters go to school wearing would of increased the risk of date rape for any college age woman 10 years ago by a factor of 50. And people wonder why there is an increase in cases of sexual abuse, we stand around and let marketing experts sexualize our children and then wonder why we have problems.

Four inches of thong hanging above a hip hugger wearing 11 year old butt is a bit much. Parents are a child’s number one teacher, not the school systems. Parents need to parent, not be best friends and sometimes parenting is not fun, nor is it easy. I for one sure do get tired of having to clean up other peoples messes.

Any parent who lets their preteen or ween or what ever Madison Ave. is calling this unsupervised buying group, buy one of those t-shirts from A&F should have there ass kicked and/or head examined. Those logos might be funny on a adult woman like my kind and loving wife (she however shops a T-Shirt Hell, her motto is “take tasteless to a new level”) on your 13 year old its just wrong.

Big Brother, breaking news yesterday, was that the CIA is running secret prisons, ostensibly for high value terrorist suspects (or anyone seen as the treat to the powers that be). My favorite is that they are sub-leasing a former KGB Gulag. Dear reader, if you didn’t think that this government had and has had long term secret prisons, you have been either uniformed or naive. Glad to see that the CIA is still a top notch super secret group of professionals. When the Washington Post says they have flight records and tail numbers of their super secret air force.

FEMA and the Victims of Hurricanes, Ok, when I worked in the field of disaster relief I went to more than a few trainings on what would happen when, not if NOLA got hit and I left that job almost 10 years ago. There was no reason we should have been caught flat footed on that one.
You think that’s bad, we also actively discussed what was going to happen when LA gets the big earthquake.

Now about the victims, we lived on the coast and have been through more than our fair share of hurricanes. If you live next to the beach, please don’t act surprised when every year you run a 50/50 chance of losing everything you own. One of the few pluses of moving up north is that we were able to actually have all our family heirlooms in our house (before that we had the things we considered to valuable stored up-state).

Why do you think so many people on the coast live in house trailers? Your out 38,000 bucks and Rent-a-Center is just shit of luck. It’s disposable housing, next time we live on the coast we are thinking about that. Hell, the house we used to live in has tripled in value since we moved, we couldn’t even move back to our old neighborhood.

On Not Wetting the Bed:
Last night as I lay down to sleep my loving and all knowing wife said after our nightly prayers “Dear husband, you have had two glasses of refreshing sweet tea, perhaps you should go to the water closet before sleep takes you”. My reply was something to the effect that "I am a grown-up, I think I know when the fuck I need to “make water”. This of course leads to my being up at this early hour. I woke at 1:30, with an erection I had not seen the likes of since I was in my teens.

In my cloudy thoughts, I entertained the idea of hours of mad passionate love making (my flower is a “please-wake-me-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night-kind-of-girl” until I realized, that this erection was not sexual in nature, it was to keep me from pissing the bed (more proof in my book of Devine Design) So, up I quickly got, and trotted my dumb ass to the bathroom. Yes, my wife is often a bit more astute than I am.

Now one thing I know about myself is that once I am awake, I am awake. I blame that on training and years of practical experience. In the military when you wake-up in the middle of the night its often best to be fully awake, add to that the years spent on call and responding to emergency’s in the dead of night, after a while you get good at going from a dead sleep to wide awake in a moments notice.

Lesson learned, drink less fluid before bed and listen more to my wife.

Today’s Bill:
I am not bound to please thee with my answers.
William Shakespeare

Quote for the Day:
Always go to the bathroom when you have a chance.
King George V

I remain, a leach on the ass of your self image:

JQP esq.