Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Conflicted Thoughts in Process:

Thought for the Day:
Winston could not definitely remember a time when his country had not been at war...war had literally been continuous, though strictly speaking it had not always been the same war. The enemy of the moment always represented absolute evil. -- George Orwell, 1984

On things that make me Sick to my Stomach and give me Bad Dreams:
US Iraq dead
2000 US dead in Iraq, 2000 men and women who heroically served the flag and died in a war I still don’t understand. As a veteran I know the call of duty, honor, country, and I salute these fallen and those serving, but I can’t help but ask, why?

Afghanistan seems to be our forgotten war, the country that really did support the terrorist bombings of 9-11, and by my criteria it fits my definition of a just war. But we don’t hear the running total on dead from that conflict.

Osama? A name dropped from the news, the man who did it, hiding in Pakistan (our friend in the region). Pakistan, who officially supported the Taliban right up until the US action.

As for totals, the number is much higher and it will take years to get the truth. Those that die has a result of their wounds after evacuation, or how about those maimed forever and still countless more who when drunk will talk about it and when asleep dream about it.

Iraq, was about oil, plain and simple. Not about justice or Democracy. Fact, there is no Democracy in Kuwait or Saudi Arabia, or North Korea, or China, or any number of African counties where atrocities are a daily fact of life. It comes down to money and power. I would have more respect for the current leadership (and I am hesitant to use that word) if they were just be honest and told the truth about why. Who goes to war with out an exit plan? A “Gee, we won, now what do we do?” (how about asking pappy-bush, his generation did a pretty good job with Japan and Germany)

I was taking to a friend of mine via e-mail who just got back from Iraq. His take on it was that the goal was two fold, one to take control of strategic resources and take the War on Terror to Iraq. His example is “…do you really think the boys at Foggy Bottom got better at catching terrorists? No, they are all here (Iraq), where they can IED the locals and what ever un-lucky troop is in the way…we are here for Texas money and to keep Hajji from strapping a bomb on himself and walking into your local McDonalds.” That set me to think this morning, but he went on to make the point that we are not even hearing about the civilians killed.

sperm build-up
As the old recruitment add said “We do more before 6AM than most people do all day” For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, for every event a memory, for every wound a scar.

Soldiers fight and Soldiers die, thats what they do, that’s why its called the military not "happy-fun-time", we all know the deal, what were are asked to do, Regular, National Guard and Reserve and there are times when its needed, but folks I don’t think the mess “W and the Gang of Chicken Hawks” got us into in Iraq was worth it.

Still we are left with “the what now”? I think it would be morally wrong to cut and run, or as some have said “Declare a Victory” and bail, didn’t we try that already, in a Top Gun moment on the deck of a Carrier?
bush_flight_suit_1
Anyway you slice it more are going to die; more are going to come home half there in lots of ways.

My shame is that I am not among those with boot in the sand, I got broken to bad from my first time around. I would rather that they allow those of us who have seen and are changed as a result of it the opportunity to go and let some kid go waste his parents money in a college somewhere.

Anyway, what the fuck do I know.

http://political.moveon.org/event/events/index.html?action_id=29
(Thanks Dusty for the link....)

Today’s Bill:
Richard III Act V, Scene 4
SCENE IV. Another part of the Field.

[Alarum; excursions. Enter NORFOLK and forces; to him CATESBY.]

CATESBY.
Rescue, my Lord of Norfolk, rescue, rescue!
The king enacts more wonders than a man,
Daring an opposite to every danger:
His horse is slain, and all on foot he fights,
Seeking for Richmond in the throat of death.
Rescue, fair lord, or else the day is lost!

[Alarum. Enter KING RICHARD.]

KING RICHARD.
A horse! a horse! my kingdom for a horse!

CATESBY.
Withdraw, my lord! I'll help you to a horse.

KING RICHARD.
Slave, I have set my life upon a cast,
And I will stand the hazard of the die:
I think there be six Richmonds in the field:
Five have I slain to-day instead of him.--
A horse! a horse! my kingdom for a horse!

[Exeunt.]

I liked this Analysis:
King Richard has been tortured by dreams of conscience in his tent on the battlefield. He goes off to fight but his horse is killed, and now Richard fights on the ground. Rhetorically offering his kingdom for a horse, he continues to battle but it is hopeless. This scene reflects the pathetic and doomed figure that Richard has become. He knows that he has been beaten, and that fate has turned against him. He gained the crown in a ruthless, brutal manner; and now in order to save his life, he offers to give the crown away. Staggering off, he enters his last combat where he will be slain by Richmond, who becomes the new God-fearing, compassionate King of England.

Quote of the Day:
The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.' George Carlin

I remain, wondering if there is a bar open at this early hour somehwere:

JQP