Wednesday, November 02, 2005

The Crimes of Prometheus:

Thought for the Day:
Life is a long lesson in humility.
James M. Barrie

I am a Winner:
Cycling : Tour De France 2005 / Stage 3

Ok, it’s not been a Good Week:
Here it is hump-day and I can only hope that there is a change in the karmic flow, but as a realest I understand that the fates most likely have more in store. Let me begin my story with a re-cap of my Monday.

Early in the morning, suffering from extreme effects of alcohol poisoning, I called Pastor Bob, not for spiritual guidance, but for a ride back to my truck, which in a moment (however fleeting) of clarity I choose to leave at the Rugby Bar. Upon being dropped off, I decided that I needed solid food, friends a McDonalds Steak Bagel I found does not constitute a wise choice.

Needless to say while concentrating on my stomach and its contents, I found myself momentary distracted this lead to a sudden loss of my lid, yes, the lid to my coffee. Thankfully, my Brooks Brother’s Suit and Italian silk tie absorbed most of the spill. As result, I turned around and headed home to change and change I did (this time something seasonal, tweed), hurrying back to my place of employment.

It was about this time; I was accosted by a homicidal maniac and spent the next few moments doing what I get paid to do, while waiting on the local law enforcement community to respond to the Bat-Signal. During this little event, I managed to bang my fucking new knee on a car bumper, which after the situation calmed, let me know was not a good idea.

So, I went home with a stack of grants and worked from my sofa while icing my leg. I called down to Indy and explained to Doctor Frankenstein what had happened, so he called in a script for some patches, which seemed to help. All in all, just another day in the service of my fellow man. No wonder I have high blood pressure.

This takes me to Tuesday. The morning started off ok, the residual effects of the events leading to Sunday, Bloody Sunday had abated. I had a morning free to play catch-up, arriving at my place of labor bright and early (6ish). And work I did, fellow traveler, work I did. I have found that since getting off the opiates over the course of the past three weeks (you, see there was a root cause for my insomnia, well other than wrestling with my demons) I can once again work at 110%.

At 9:00 I was scheduled to teach a class of medical students at one of the many institutions of higher learning that abound in this culturally rich community. I arrived a little early and set up all my equipment (hell, I put on a high tech multi-media show, well worth the price of admission). I should at this point add that, I had to carry this 110 pounds crap about ½ mile to get to the classroom, on my bad knee.

The class started to fill up, you know one of those big classes, 150 young eager minds wanting to learn. It was about this time; a gentleman walked up to me and introduced himself, asking what I was doing in his class. Your class I asked? Yes, his reply. English Comp 101. Ergo, I was given the wrong room number. So, I packed up all the shit I had hauled across the campus and off I went in search of someone who might be able to tell me where the class was.

After three false leads (there is a metaphor I could insert here but I really don’t have the energy), I was directed to a seldom used corner of the basement in the medical building. Needless to say, this was after an Afrikaners like trek back across the campus, which oddly enough ended up about 100 feet from where I had parked. I taught the class and started back to the office.

It was at this time while thinking “wow, shitty time to give up prescription pain killers” that my phone rang; I was summoned to the Big-Dogs office, to de-brief the events of the previous day. De-brief we did, it ended up with me saying something to the effect of “My foul, Coach” lesson learned, I stand corrected, you are right, etc, blaa, blaa, all the time thinking, A) I didn’t know there was a manual I was suppose to read on “How to Deal with a Homicidal Maniac, Issue III rev.” and B) Boy, I really have to pee.

After the meeting, in which I left a godly portion of my ass behind, I felt the need to enjoy a restful lunch. So, Pastor Bob and The Bitter Red Headed Lady and I went to lunch at one of the trendy hip establishments that dot the river front. This is where the actual de-briefing took place, over boiled fish dishes and Indian teas. Feeling fortified and better about myself and my role in what turned out to be a passion play, I retuned to the Salt Mine of my Soul and once again started my labors.

It was at this time that I realized that I was covering a out of town training from 6-8pm. So, after my 12 hour day I found myself on the road, once again practicing my unorthodox Johnny Appleseed like teaching style, to a large group of people who would much rather have been home with their families. It was on my return I suffered the last indignity of the day. I got a ticket, yes a moving violation, my 3rd so far this year, which if I don’t call in some favors or offer some hand-jobs means I am going to have to take defensive driving.

This brings me to today, meetings all day long, my knee hurts, but over all I still have that sunny disposition that you all know and love.

Your Bill for the Day:
"O, what men dare do! What men may do! What men daily
do, not knowing what they do!"
Much Ado About Nothing (IV, i, 19-21)


Quote for the Day:
Courage is of no value unless accompanied by justice; yet if all men became just, there would be no need for courage.
Agesilaus the Second

I remain, standing my post on the wall of Moral Relativism:

JQP esq.