Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy:

Thought for the Day:
Doubt 'til thou canst doubt no more...doubt is thought and thought is life. Systems which end doubt are devices for drugging thought.
Albert Guerard

On Today:
Grant writing, grant writing and guess what a maybe a little grant writing. This is what happens when they cut budgets, it makes a lot of people who could be doing other stuff chained to a desks trying to find money to keep basic services up and running.

Its not easy talking funders out of cash after the major disasters we have seen recently, the bank is dry. So, I am spending today turning over stones, later a meeting with some big wigs from the state and late this afternoon a conf call with that fun loving bunch of bureaucrats from the Dept. of Justice. Yes, a day full of shits a giggles

JQP’s Food Finds:
There is more than a military academy and Amish in Howe, Indiana. Yesterday morning I had a hearty breakfast of fried Mush and Amish hickory smoked bacon at a little village dinner in the town of Howe. At the Town Square Restaurant they serve fried Mush that comes in large, deep fried, golden brown planks (3 per order) and damn it was tasty. The bacon was well seasoned, so much so that while eating it you almost smell the Hickory smoke. Granted it wasn’t the cheapest 7.84, (however I did add a side of ham, which was a bit fatty) but the coffee was good and the waitress was right on top of keeping it filled.

Piss and Moan, your wine and cheese ala JQP:
norton8cv
What is it about fall that brings on introspection? For the past week or two I have been diving into self-analyses which in my case often leads to excessive depression and gnashing of teeth. It’s ok however, because I am a trained professional, the only problem is that during these ‘blue’ periods I can not bill anyone else.

What’s odd is that I love the fall, it would have to be the one of the perks (and largely the only perk) of living in the northern mid-west, the changing of the leafs. I enjoy sweater weather, the smell of wood smoke in the air, eating corn dogs and elephant ears at county fairs. Raking leafs and long walks. But this year it’s bringing me down a bit.

What could be some of the factors they are playing into this my most recent period of self-pity? Well let’s see: I had my 20 year class reunion last month, that’s enough to bring anyone down. It wasn’t that I am not where I wanted to be in my life, in a lot of ways I am a lot better off than I could have ever hoped, I am married to a wonderful woman, I went to college, I have never done hard time in this country (beware, they take their law mighty serious in Thailand), I have a job (that granted, no one else in their right mind wants) that makes a difference and that I enjoy plus I have some damn good friends, so quit pissing and moaning, right?

Well, lets look at the negative column. For the last two weeks I have been broke as fuck, yes that’s depressing to anyone, granted I took my bride out in honor of or nuptials at the first of the month and dropped my budget for the month. Damn being tight doesn’t get any easier when you’re older. Our new dryer broke, yes broke, exactly three weeks after the warranty expired (and yes, my loving bride reminded me of my insistence that we buy American). We have a hole in the roof of the stables that a grown man could fall through (I know, I did), we still have not repaired the A/C, there is a bubble in the plaster in the ceiling of the parlor from my last attempt to make the up-stairs bath fully functional.

The student loan and medical bill people are stalking me, yes money and lack of it suck, and yes I know that a month ago I was going on about how when we were poor we enjoyed spending time together at places like the “Earls Beauty Salon and Laundromat” (no shit that’s where we dried our clothes Sunday), well, I guess it was time for a little reality check.

Other factors, we still don’t have a baby, I think that’s one that is weighing heavily on me. Hell, everyone we I graduated with in high school has kids in college. I guess the question of when do you stop trying and just move on with your life.

Another thing that is bothering my is that in the past four weeks I have had events where people felt the need to reminisce and tell their favorite JQP story. For me they all start kind of like “remember the time you kicked so and so’s ass” or “that on time when you were drunk and…” yes in the past four weeks its been a parade of JQP whop-ass and hell razing stories, some would say the stuff that legends are made of.

Its odd that, no one ever tells the stories about how I was the only one of their friends who sat with them when the mother died, or I was the one who talked them out of killing themselves over some stupid relationship, or that I was the one who got you into re-hab when you were shoving 500 bucks a day up your nose, how about that I am the one you call when you get into trouble or your wife leaves you? .

Guess it’s a bed I made for myself a long time ago and now, today, I am tired of laying in it. Just the stupid shit, maybe I am taking it a bit more to heart than I should, I am just tired and a bit pissed off, but I think tired is the key.

I am still not sleeping, day eleven of my most recent bout with the evils of insomnia. My kind and loving wife however thinks that the constant pain I am in and the fact that I still cant do everything I want (like run, or walk down stairs) coupled with that I spent my summer on bed rest and am currently trying to wean myself of the pain pills (against medical advise) might be playing just a little into this. What the hell does she know anyway? ....that...and still Bush is running things. There done being a cry baby.

Today’s Bill:
Our doubts are traitors,
And make us lose the good we oft might win
By fearing to attempt.
"Measure for Measure", Act 1 scene 4

Quote of the Day:
I decided that it was not wisdom that enabled [poets] to write their poetry, but a kind of instinct or inspiration, such as you find in seers and prophets who deliver all their sublime messages without knowing in the least what they mean.
Socrates, In "Apology," sct. 21, by Plato.

I remain, the wet spot on the chinos of your personality:

JQP esq.