Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Dumbledore dies on page 596:

However the words “Dumbledore is dead” don’t appear till page 606. Regardless, he is clearly killed on page 596.

Thought for the Day:
Men are like steel. When they lose their temper, they lose their worth.
Chuck Norris US movie actor (1940 - )

On Today:
Not a lot to write about. I have a lot of dead lines and shit that is keeping me focused on the job at hand. Court, meetings, and fighting with funders. Just a day full of shits and giggles all the way around.

NPR yesterday:
While driving back to the office I heard an Islamic cleric here in the US make a point that made me stop and think. He said that if someone broke into his house and robbed him and he went out in the street and shouted help, someone robbed me; his neighbors would come and help. But, if he went out in the street and shouted, Help a Christian has just stolen from me, the Christians wouldn’t be so quick to rush to help. His point being that we should call the terrorists just that, terrorists. Not Islamic terrorists.

He went on to make his point using the example of Timothy McVey, (or for that matter Eric Robert Rudolph, who set off a bomb at the Olympics over abortion clinics, and no I don’t see how the two are related either) we don’t call them the Christian terrorists. Good point I thought, kind of like the global equivalent of D.W.B. “Driving while Black” which in my neighborhood will get a person of color pulled over by our local law enforcement.

Your recipe for the Week:

Uncle Roy's Barbecued Bologna Roll
Nothing says High Class White Trash Wedding Reception like this little treat:
Uncle Roy
4 to 6 lb. roll of bologna (and yes the guy at the meat counter will look at you like your nuts)
4 1/2 tbsp. prepared mustard
4 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. prepared horseradish
1 cup chili sauce
3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp. Tabasco
1 cup Mayonnaise

Score bologna roll with 1/2" to 1" cuts, 1" apart. Secure roll on spit or shish kebab skewer
Mix all ingredients, chill over night. Attach spit or place directly on grill about 3" from coals. Baste well with mixture, grill until roll is thoroughly heated. If placed directly on grill, turn often. Remove spit or skewer; slice. About 20 servings!

Memories:
You ever have a day when you don’t know how to feel? I had a night full of nightmares, interspersed with leg pain. I hate when old things come up and haunt me. I have dreams that are so complete that you can smell them. They say smell is the strongest thing to trigger a memory. The smell of sulfur, burning tires, blood, gun oil. Second, I think would be sounds. My heart still races when I hear a helicopter fly over, or a heavy transport plane warming its engines.

panama_1989

But smells can also bring good memories to the surface. I remember when I was a child, I used to go and take my mothers pillow from her bed and sleep with it when I had to take a nap, just because it smelled like her.

Us

Another big one for me, would be the smell of leafs in the fall, or perhaps wood smoke hanging in the air on a crisp October morning. Those are big ones for me, they take me back to the day I married my loving bride. Which in truth, would have to be the happiest day of my life.

Your Bill for the Day:
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore, So do our minutes hasten to their end.
William Shakespeare Greatest English dramatist & poet (1564 - 1616)

Quote of the Day:
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
Douglas Adams English humorist & science fiction novelist (1952 - 2001)

I remain, a busy Beaver:

JQP