Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Rich Arab Despot Dead, Mad Man headed to the UN:

(And other news)

Thought for Today:
People ask for criticism, but they only want praise.
W. Somerset Maugham English dramatist & novelist (1874 - 1965)

On Road Side Assistance and Office Politics:
Yesterday, I left work and went home to ice my lovely knee. It looked much like a fresh melon found at your favorite green grocer’s stand. I left work about two hours early to complete this task. Now, upon my arrival at work I find 27 e-mails from my boss on verity things.

Now I guess my point would be that, I sat here for 6 hours and my boss had nothing to say to me, but when I cut out a bit early, then all hell breaks lose. Odd, eh what? It seems there were not many people listening when the wise man said “don’t sweat the small stuff”. These are all silly petty things. ....but wait there is more....

At about 4:30 Pastor Bob called and asked if I could pick him up at the auto repair place, where he is having the Family Truckster tended to.

Silly me, being the nice man I agreed, so after picking him up we "had" to stop by my favorite bar for just one, at which point we were joined by colleagues from my place of employ, officers of multi-nationals and members of the clergy in what can best be described as a drinking orgy. I however, being the level headed man that I am, refrained from the demon rum, and kept my wits about me.

I was acting so grown-up in fact that I made Pastor Bob leave when the subject of Manifest Destiny and clear cutting the nation’s forest came up (both at hot topics for him). I didn’t need to be involved in yet another knife fight.

I got him out of there and we then went to the Macedonian Road House, where we dined on pickled farm produce and knockwurst sandwiches. Pastor Bob continued his bender, asking to be dropped off along the way home so he could compete in a Karaoke contest at an establishment, that only recently reopened its doors after a multiple homicide that occurred in its parking lot.

Thankfully I was able to persuade him to stay in the truck, (to the point of speeding up, when we passed so he couldn’t jump out). I was able to drop him off at home, safe and sound around 9pm.

Which of course lead me to round two of the evening. My loving bride was less than pleased that I was not home, it seems that this was the one night this week when she was going to be home before 10 pm and here I was out with that bum Pastor Bob.

Sadly my flower was right, I should have been home with her enjoying marital relations. So, after some ass kissing, I was able to worm my way back into her good graces. ...and talked her into reading to me, until slumber took hold.

This morning, I had to pick Pastor Bob up at his home on the cities far south side. I was greeted with, “why the fuck did you let me drink so much", "you know what happened last night is all your fault”.

Now, to a casual reader that might seem like an odd thing to say, but truth be known it is one of the many roles I play for those who know me and that is the role of Pan. It seems when people are around me, they act in ways that they are unaccustomed, which leads to regret on their part, which in turn leads to blame.

Blame it all on old JQP, how many wifes have been told, “I am sorry honey, but you know how JQP is” or "Baby, I wanted to go home but JQP wouldn’t let me”. Someone put in my situation might take offence at that, but not me, it is my role, to be everyone’s Pan, or perhaps Loci, I offer freedom from judgment and have very few expectations, that and dear reader I have broad shoulders to carry the weight of others actions.

Animal Husbandry and JQP:
In my quest to find a use for Pit-Bulls that does not involve knocking down screen doors, or mauling old women and children, I decided to look into training them as “Porcupine Attack Dogs”, sadly this has been met with varying degrees of success.
dumb dog

In Labor News:
Union and Proud
Members of San Francisco Power and Light Local 301 show their support for the AFL-CIO, during the “Get behind your Union Day”.

I however, being a former AFL-CIO staffer, welcome the mix-ups, strong arming, death threats and pouting that often accompany a national meeting. There are Unions that have gotten to be nothing more than parasitic corporations paying on the rank and file while sleeping with the management.

We all know they are out there. On the other side of the coin there are Unions that work day in and day out to help working people everywhere. Now, perhaps they will focus on organizing and educating the work force of this country. For to long the Unions have rolled over and played dead, rise up brothers and sisters, the only thing you have to lose is your chains.

Today’s Bill:
"Journeys end in lovers meeting,
Every wise man's son doth know."
--From Twelfth Night (II, iii, 44-45)

Quote of the Day:
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.
Steven Wright US comedian and actor (1955 - )

In Thanks:
I would like to give thanks to those who add color and vision to this blog, namely those who I steal pictures from: Eye…, God Hates.. and Dobbs, your are all artists, and I applaud you for your vision.

Like a thorn on the wilted rose of lost dreams, I remain:

JQP esq.