Thursday, January 06, 2005

Se rappeler le soleil sur mon visage:

Thought for the Day:
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come.
Matt Groening, "Life in Hell" US cartoonist & satirist (1954 - )

The Borg:
I willed myself out of bed and went to work this day...yes I know the doctor said to take two weeks off, but sadly I get bored, v-e-r-y bored, so I am going to work, someone had to save all those children and defend this great nation, and even at half-power I am still a force to be respected. That and the Borg is off today, so there is no one to tell me I cant. I have a shit load of grant work to get done. Wish me luck!

On adoption:
The Big Hearted and Giving Mrs. John Q. Public has decided that we should adopt. She sent me 47 links to international adoption agencies, (with her choices high-lighted). God-Damn, now you can pick your kid on-line and pack in a vacation when you go get them, sometimes American society just amazes me.

Now, I understand that the footage from the Tsunami has hit us all hard and the stories coming out of there but to adopt a child from the region? Hell, we already gave money. I don’t know your views but day to day I see children here who need adopted, but they are not because they are too old, seems like everyone wants a white baby. And if you’re a black kid who is about 4 years old, there is a pretty good chance if you end up in the system; there is where you will remain.

The Funny Thing on the way to Work:
Nothing can fill a liquor store like an ice storm. I drive past two on the way to work every day and this morning it was standing room only. Another thing I have noticed in my line of work is I can walk into a house with 6 kids in it, with the heat turned off, no infant formula, no food to speak of, everyone huddled in the one room with the space heater, and watch mom pull a new pack of Marlboro Reds from the carton. And I am the ass-hole because I take the kids, behold the power of addiction.

On the New Attorney General:
Ok, I hope I am not the only person who is shitting bricks over this Attorney General nomination. This is the guy who said it’s ok to torture. Fuck, the joint chiefs don’t like him, that should be enough to make the Hawks stop and think, not only has his actions and the actions of his cohorts made the danger greater for the American service members, but he has helped to take away the one thing we had going for us every now and then, the high moral ground. Remember that old thing we used to believe, that our nation did things sometimes just because they were the right thing to do?

On the drink of the week:
Ok, there are some hard core drinkers out there who read my blog and they seem to come un-glued when I don’t have my drink of the week posted early enough. So, in reply to the 11 e-mails here goes, and no I have not taste tested these to date, as doctors orders are currently preventing my intake of inebriating substances:

Your Drink of the week:
(Something for these icy cold days that will warm the soul and bring out the story teller even in those not blessed by Irish blood.)
IRA Coffee
Ingredients:
1oz. Bailey's Irish Cream
1 oz. Frangelico
1 oz. Drambuie
Fill w/ Coffee
Topped w/ Whip Cream

Your Cocktail of the Week:
Kentucky Fizz:
Stack In a 14 oz. Glass filled with Ice ( Build )
(What to do with that left over cheap Champagne?)
Ingredients:
2 oz. Old Grand Dad
1 oz. Peach Schnapps
1/2 oz Triple Sec
1 1/2 oz. of Champagne
Fill w/ 1/2 can of Kerns Nectar ( Peach ) if not available add more Peach Schnapps

Your Word for the Day:
Bank: To hit or beat up, as in "to bank on someone." Example: Watch out before I bank on you.

Do you ever wake up:
And ask yourself, “Était-il vrai ? ou un rêve ? un jeu ?”
So many questions, so many things, so much time.
(and yes, I am still taking my class, but I have not been as good a student these past few months).

Your Greek God/Goddess for the Week:
Bia: "Force". Greek goddess of force, daughter of the Titan Pallas and the underworld goddess Styx. She was the sister of Kratos, the god of strength, as well as of Nike and Zelos. Bia was the constant companion of Zeus. It was she who was made to bind Prometheus as punishment for stealing fire from the gods. (Dare you to find a way to bring her and the word of the day into the same conversation)

On the new Book I am Researching:
I just finished reading my fourth book on the Zulu War. No, its has been light reading but I did find one fact that made me stop and think, damn this could be a good book or a movie.

Did you know that Napoleon IV was killed while serving with British forces in the Zulu Campaign? An odd note of history no doubt, but the story behind it is much more interesting. Just something to keep my mind occupied during these sunless days in the high mountain planes of northern Indiana.

Your Bill For the Day:
SONNET 5
Those hours, that with gentle work did frame
The lovely gaze where every eye doth dwell,
Will play the tyrants to the very same
And that unfair which fairly doth excel:
For never-resting time leads summer on
To hideous winter and confounds him there;
Sap cheque'd with frost and lusty leaves quite gone,
Beauty o'ersnow'd and bareness every where:
Then, were not summer's distillation left,
A liquid prisoner pent in walls of glass,
Beauty's effect with beauty were bereft,
Nor it nor no remembrance what it was:
But flowers distill'd though they with winter meet,
Leese but their show; their substance still lives sweet.

Quote for the Day:
Follow your inclinations with due regard to the policeman round the corner.
W. Somerset Maugham, 'Of Human Bondage', 1915 English dramatist & novelist (1874 - 1965)
(If you have not read "Of Human Bondage" please do, God Damn, I would have to say he is one of my top five writers and in that book he says more about life and living it than most writers do in a life time)

I remain: dashing and full of charm,

JQP DDS