Monday, January 10, 2005

A Normal Quiet Weekend:

Thought for the Day:
The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next. Ursula K. LeGuin

JQP and the Weekend:
Friday, I was a bit of a grown up, I stayed home built a fire, and read three books. Nothing earth shattering, novels, just chewing gum for the mind. However, the Loving and Frendly Mrs. John Q. Public had other plans and invited a large group of very odd people over to the manor for a pork-chop and shrimp fest ("cook for me, lil' dancing boy, cook", I then went to bed late and slept in the morning (all the way till 7:00am). Thank God for good Port, I dont think I would of made it.

After cleaning the house and running off those who spent the night (I turned the hounds on them) I split fire wood. We went out Saturday night after the hockey game, the sweet and kind Mrs. John Q. Public and I to a local watering hole, a heavily Democratic Party clientele, enthusiasts of social justice, unions and fucking the man. Needless to say, it’s a place I fit in. However they have a funny rule about no cussing, so I often get myself in trouble.

Sunday, I woke and went to early Mass, and managed to fall along the way back and messed up the same knee that I had re-done after my experience at playing “Old-Boys-Side” rugby during last years Homecoming game.

The dedicated reader might remember this is the game that the Concerned and Insightful Mrs. John Q. Public said repeatedly, “don’t you go out there and play, those kids will eat you alive” my reply included something about “old age and treachery” as a point of fact, she was right. I lasted about 2 minutes and 13 seconds, before destroying my knee and having four bones broken (something that happens when two healthily young men stand on your legs and head trying to take a ball from you).

I spent last year looking like a down and out boxer or that guy who always said seat belts are for pussies, hobbling along on crutches. Damn it, and here I was all signed up to do an extreme fighting thing next week (even in poor health I have been training) the purse is 5,000 and I have good insurance, that and I can be a mean prick in a fight, but now coming off being sick and with the knee I don’t know if I can pull it off. Damn, I wanted to use the money to take a cooking vacation in Tuscany.

On other news, the Sweet and Kind Mrs. John Q. Public is in town this week. She decided to go on some weird kind of diet, which pretty much makes me on the same kind of weird diet. Its, not like with my robust 240# muscular frame I need to lose any weight, hell I have been trying to bulk up. But, after being married as long as I have, I am now wise enough, to know to follow the path of least resistance.

Poet I am reading:
Dara Prisamt Murray, wow... I dont know if I am old enough to read her.

Your Bill for the Day:
SONNET 154
The little Love-god lying once asleep
Laid by his side his heart-inflaming brand,
Whilst many nymphs that vow'd chaste life to keep
Came tripping by; but in her maiden hand
The fairest votary took up that fire
Which many legions of true hearts had warm'd;
And so the general of hot desire
Was sleeping by a virgin hand disarm'd.
This brand she quenched in a cool well by,
Which from Love's fire took heat perpetual,
Growing a bath and healthful remedy
For men diseased; but I, my mistress' thrall,
Came there for cure, and this by that I prove,
Love's fire heats water, water cools not love.

Well, off to work, my ass is hanging out on some grants, so time to get them nailed down, that and I have a meeting with the Borg today and am on the road this week!

I remain as always yours so very truly:

JQP PhD