Monday, December 20, 2004

Sleep well, Good Lady:

I just got the message that Jen died today around 11:30, in Indy.
She had been very ill for the past few years; her life long battle with Lupus took its toll.

We “dated” “hung-out” were-together” or whatever you call it when your two hippy-gen-X-left-wing-college kids, years ago.

It was the summer I spent living in a kind of commune at the end of a long lonely country road in the middle of nowhere down in south-western Ohio. We drank wine, woke together, wrote poems and talked about all the big-thoughts and things.

I went to visit her when she started her PhD at Kent state. After she nailed her dissertation she took a teaching job with one of the Ivy’s, got married and started what turned out to be her life’s work.

She then got sick, got divorced, and came back home where her family has been taking care of her.

She did a lot in her time, the wild child, the early 80’s punk girl who with her sister haunted the clubs in Chicago, who walked the streets of Bangkok in the early morning hours, who fell in with fishermen in Australia, who took a bus from one end of the country to the other, just for shits and giggles.

She packed a lot of living into her time, and I was glad to have known her.

I have some of the poems she wrote me…and yes, there are still times I read them.

JQP