Tuesday, December 14, 2004

I just like to Help People:

On why I need a raise:
A “normal” person complains about their job they might include their work load, their boss, and at times their co-workers. Brothers and Sisters, if it were so easy. Ok, What makes your job so different John Q. Public, you ask?

Well let’s see, yesterday I started work at 6:30am, and was knee deep in a crisis by say 6:38am. No big deal, that’s what I get paid to do, deal with other peoples crisis, but still, I had to pee (I was going to use piss, but it sounds to bad for this early) and had not even had a chance to sit at my desk, not a positive start to the work week.

On doing my Part:
Later I conducted two trainings for other professionals, both went ok. However upon my return to the office I found that a colleague had booked herself several places at once. So, yet again, I was asked to cover, one was a television interview (I hate doing TV, you always worry if your going to say the wrong thing, or if you have a bugger in your nose or something) and the other was a sales pitch to a major funder. Both would be no problem if I am prepared, however since both were kind of “big-deals” with 10 minutes each of prep time, I was less than pleased, but like any good employee I was a good soldier. Victory from the jaws of defeat.

After doing my part (because after all I am a team player) I had hoped to get some lunch. thinking that this would be easy since I had beaten the lunch rush by oh say about 3 hours. But dear reader, this is where I made one of the classic blunders; I called in to check messages.

On being a People Person:
Back to work I went. Needless to say I spent the rest of the day and not a small part of the night in the “field”. I only received two death threats and was spit on only once by a 12 year-old at my next stop of the day.

On being a Dog Lover and Medical Care:
The highlight of the rest of the day was being able to sit down to a movie and a meal at home at 11:53pm (The Big Empty, it was at least worth the rental fee, with smoked pork chops, french cut green beans with red bell peppers, and half of a left-over shrimp and tomato stuffed leak), after being discharged from the hospital where I received treatment for a concussion and a dog bite. Sadly, the kind and animal loving Mrs. John Q. Public’s was more concerned about the status of the Pit-Bull.

All in a days work, for your average humanitarian.

On why My Boss has been taken over by the Borg:
Which of course brings my to this morning, since I, JQP had worked late and was wounded in the line of duty I thought oddly enough I might just come in late. Bad, call on my part it turns out. I was just required to write an “I am so very sorry for missing the monthly ten minute program report out meeting, by two minutes” e-mail. Seems everyone else had the same idea and only 6 people showed up, my absence was missed.

On that Ad for Truck Driving School:
My sour disposition is made even more so by my pronounced limp and petty office politics. It makes me long for those care free days when I was a garbage truck driver, I should have kept that job after I finished my dissertation. Oh, well back to filling out my OSHA accident report form.

I remain, with the hope not yet beaten out of me:

JQP