Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Sick of Politics:

Politics, War and other shit that pisses me off:
Now being an avid reader you know that I am not a fan of the ruling junta, (I know my name is on a list somewhere and one cold night the jack-boots of the Homeland Security Black Bag Operations Team will crunch the snow coming up the drive of the estate, just a matter of time, dear reader, a matter of time).

Now, often people call me a liberal democrat, I think that’s because its to easy to label people like myself that don’t agree with flushing the good things that America used to stand for not only for “We the People” but for the world down the toliet.

For starters, I am not a pacifist, ask anyone who decided to “take it to the next level”, hell I have those nice framed awards and discharge papers, plus my VA card. I was raised by a family of Trade Unionists; an early lesson was that some times a fist makes a point better than words. That being said (wow, a very testosterone rich post so far), I would like to address someone who just really has pissed me right the fuck off.

Donald Rumsfeld, now all of you have heard his comment to the soldier who asked why they were not getting the armor they needed. His quote was “we go to war with the Army we have”. True statement, very true, we went to war in Afghanistan with the Army we had, and have done a pretty damn good job there (compare that to the Russians), but that was a war based on a sneak attack (like Pearl Harbor). Off to war we went (and funny how you never hear about what going on there anymore, I was talking to a friend who just got back, man… just like when I was in boots, there is a lot going on in the world we never hear).

How did Rummy handle things on his watch? Well, I found this from one of his own people, “I've had my differences with this secretary of defense, and I have been very clear on it. I don't like the way he has done some things. I think they have been irresponsible. I don't like the way we went into Iraq. We didn't go into Iraq with enough troops. He's dismissed his general officers. He's dismissed all outside influence. He's dismissed outside counsel and advice. And he's dismissed a lot of inside counsel and advice from men and women who have been in military uniforms for 25 and 30 years.” Senator Chuck Hagel, Rep. Nebraska.

Not to mention, that old hell and leather Rummy has never so much has played a game of paint ball let alone served in uniform, I am sure he knows what’s best.

Afghanistan. That one made sense to me, go in and take them out, cut and dried, eye for an eye, etc. But Iraq, come the fuck on, we could have prepared, made sure we had enough troops, and they had the stuff they needed, before commenting to a War. I don’t think even my right-wing friends (yes, I have some, for God-Sake this is Indiana) believe that WMD crap anymore.

It was a war W chose, not one we had to fight then, that day and that time. I can’t get behind an administration that lies, no matter what party. God, damn I hope they run McCain and Powel for the next election, because God knows the Dem’s will screw around and put Hillary in the seat, thus flushing any hope that party has at once again becoming the party of the common man.

Veterans and Health Care:
Now many of you don’t know this, but they are actively gutting the VA systems, and friend there was not a whole lot there in the first place. They are doing this at a time when we are having more wounded, hurt, scared people coming home than we have since Vietnam, when I was in the rule of thumb was that for every fatality you heard about bet that there were 10 wounded requiring evacuation. That’s a lot of people and the number keeps growing. I know how much fun recovering from wounds can be in a military hospital, try that after your discharge at a VA 100 miles from you home.

In a lot of ways, it just seems like another way to spit on the soldier, thanks for your service, good luck, hope you find a job and heal up well, Folks yellow fucking ribbons just don’t cut it, when your 19 and have a colostomy bag.

On a lighter Note, Your Thought for the Day:
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. Frank Zappa

It should be noted that both the countries we are at war with dont have a beer, next time lets go to someplace where after we kick ass, the college kids would all want to go to on spring break, shit...how about Cuba?

JQP