Monday, November 28, 2005

I miss Walking Around in a Robe a Silk Pajamas all Day:

Thought for the Day:
Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.
Franklin D. Roosevelt, radio address, October 26, 1939

my Aunt and Uncle
(Now wasn’t that fun spending time with family and all, just think you get to do it all again in a few short weeks.)

A Brief Overview of the Public Thanksgiving Holiday.
I took last Wednesday off, to prepare for the trip on the Great White North, which as in typical Thanksgiving fashion required that my flower and I drive through a blinding snow storm. Thursday, we ate and left, so we could play dodge ball with the truck drivers, to see who was going to get the best position in the ditch. I didn’t get there early enough for the annual dog hunt, so my fears of being shot in the face by a drunken UP’er were unfounded. There are few things like a white-knuckle drive after a day of family time.

On Friday, J. Thom the Jazz man and his family stopped by on their way back down to Memphis. Yes, my Goddaughter is just cute as all hell. After dinner, we were able to escape from the loving embrace of our wives and made or way to my favorite bar followed by a quick tour of the Rugby Bar. We were joined for this evening of fun and frivolity by Irizarry, Sky Captain, and Tiny, plus the usual hanger-on’ers and camp followers.

On a side note: I for the third year in a row won the “17th Annual Show us you Tongue Contest”, which qualified me to move onto National Semifinals. However, being the slow learner that I am, I once again learned that pain pills and large quantities of distilled liquors to not mix.

Saturday, I slept in and woke to a made breakfast, (thanks to J. Tom, some house guests are ok to have). We saw them off and then went back to bed for a much needed nap. After which I my flower and I had tea, spending the rest of the day, relaxing and getting to know each other in a Biblical fashion.

We had mixed feelings about skipping BBG’s ND party, but the down time was much needed. My love and I built a fire and watched the game, damn brothers and sisters that was a game to watch. On another note, USF won again, it is looking like we might get a chance to meet up with our arch rival a small Catholic college football power house from Montana. If so, Pete the Fire Man, Matt the Cop and I are going to make the trip to watch some kick-ass football.

Then on Sunday, I spent wife my wife shopping, which is right up there with getting my teeth drilled with out the benefit of Novocain. But it’s what she wanted to do and I being the good husband complied. After a day of shopping I got the rare opportunity to brush my flowers hair while she ate sweet potato pie and watched Chic-Flicks on TV. There is something to be learned here, don’t bet against football game half way through.

Which takes me to today, a Monday back in the salt mines of my soul. Friends there is much labor to be done, the holidays season is always busy for us in the world of human services. So, dear reader off to my daily struggle while wishing you a very fine week.

Today’s Bill:
SONNET 63
Against my love shall be, as I am now,
With Time's injurious hand crush'd and o'er-worn;
When hours have drain'd his blood and fill'd his brow
With lines and wrinkles; when his youthful morn
Hath travell'd on to age's steepy night,
And all those beauties whereof now he's king
Are vanishing or vanish'd out of sight,
Stealing away the treasure of his spring;
For such a time do I now fortify
Against confounding age's cruel knife,
That he shall never cut from memory
My sweet love's beauty, though my lover's life:
His beauty shall in these black lines be seen,
And they shall live, and he in them still green.

Quote for the Day:
If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way.
Bertrand Russell

I remain, much like the in inappropriate Monkey at the Zoo, of your Psyche:

JQP esq.