Thursday, October 13, 2005

It’s No-Love-Thursday and other things to Celebrate:

Thought for the Day:
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.
Mark Twain
(who knew Karl Rove read some of Mr. Twain’s works)

It’s a No-Love-Thursday, for you and me!
back when I was in boys school
As you the reader know, today is the day for the meeting of that most venerated of drinking clubs in northeast Indiana, The No-Love-Thursday Mutual Aid Society and Meeting for Bitter Intellectuals whose lives are a series of Un-Realized Dreams.

Yes, dear reader count me in their number. I shall take my place down at the end of the bar has soon as the steam whistle sounds and my shift is done here at the salt mines. Details will follow.

JQP's Food Finds:
Yesterday I had the opportunity to dine in two of the most fashionable places to eat in the boom town of Peru, Indiana. For my Non-Native readers Peru is well known around NE Indiana as the circus capital of the world.

I started my trip of Miami County’s culinary delights at drive-in called Mr. Weenie, where I enjoyed four chili dogs with dbl onions and a frosty Root Beer. Most tasty indeed, a slice of Americana, my one regret is that I didn’t have a camera to take a picture of the 40 foot tall neon Weenie Man.

After teaching my three hour course to a crack team of health care professionals and burping in a most satisfactory way, onion fumes, I found myself in need of further substance. I made my way downtown and a block before the bridge I found Grandma Mason’s Grill.

This establishment is has limited seating since it is in someone’s house (ask to be seated in the back room) and dear reader home cooking is what you get here. I had meatloaf which was just like having meatloaf over at your best friend’s grandmothers house, not bad, but in such a way that you cleaned your plate, just so has not to piss the old girl off.

For a side I had that staple of the heartland, macaroni & cheese, folks this got two thumbs down, over cooked to the point of being “mack and cheese soup”, with about two sticks of butter added, I could feel my arteries hardening.

I then followed that with a bowl of their potato soup, now folks that place is worth stopping in for just that, it was prefect. Chunky, not over cooked in a base that didn’t over power it, well done! The coffee was good and the service attentive. As for the clientele it looked as thought most over them had gone to school with Grandma Mason, a must go-to for the over 60 crowd.


GI jesus
(I think this says more about the state of things than I am willing to take on at this early hour)

On random things and their Corollaries:

I slept last night; I think that there are few things more satisfying than a good nights sleep.
In corollary: ok, a good shit is right up there and good sex, but hell 98% of all sex is good.

Life is too short to eat bad food’
In corollary, life is too short to be “stuck” in a bad relationship.

I found out I have a bench warrant out in my name. (What can I say, I am an outlaw) I found this out while in court on an unrelated matter, when calling my sweet and some what distractible wife to ask if we had sent in a check for my latest ticket, she replied “oh, fuck... ummm, nope”.
In corollary: I don’t look good in an orange jump suit with paper sandals and I hate the baloney sandwiches they feed you for breakfast at the City-County Lock-Up.

Going off pain medicine against medical advice sucks.
In corollary: It means you can’t bitch about being in pain.

It bothers me when women wear knee high boots and the boots are not tight around their calves, Like hello, your legs look like that palm tree I have potted in the music room.
In corollary: However if that same woman was wearing only the over sized boots I wouldn’t mind.

I find the term “internet friends” a somewhat more reader friendly version of my imaginary friends I had when I was 4, in case you would like to know chief among them was Smith and I believe he was one of the security officers on the Starship Enterprise.
In corollary: The majority of the readers of this blog only exist in my imagination and as clusters of electrons and neutrons dancing about 18 inches from my nose.

Today’s Bill:

SONNET 46
Mine eye and heart are at a mortal war
How to divide the conquest of thy sight;
Mine eye my heart thy picture's sight would bar,
My heart mine eye the freedom of that right.
My heart doth plead that thou in him dost lie--
A closet never pierced with crystal eyes--
But the defendant doth that plea deny
And says in him thy fair appearance lies.
To 'cide this title is impanneled
A quest of thoughts, all tenants to the heart,
And by their verdict is determined
The clear eye's moiety and the dear heart's part:
As thus; mine eye's due is thy outward part,
And my heart's right thy inward love of heart.

Quote of the Day:
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.
Friedrich Nietzsche, The Dawn, Sec. 297

I remain, the slug of ethics in the garden of your soul:

JQP esq.