Thursday, September 15, 2005

No-Love-Thursday:

Thought for the Day:
Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Miriam Beard

On No-Love-Thursday:
below ground
Today is an event filled day for yours truly. It is my understanding that the meeting of the “No-Love-Thursday Mutual Aid Society and Drinking Club” will commence at 4:00pm at my favorite bar as usual. However there are a few problems. Pastor Bob is still challenging the legitimacy of “Flavia-Puff” as leader of our merry band and his subversive rhetoric is gaining steam and favor with other members.

trouble afoot
(Left to Right: Pastor Bob, JQP esq., M. Chamberlain, Newspaperman)

It all depends on if she shows up to represent herself. If not I feel a coup might take place and I fear the ramifications. Who will pay for the complementary drinks?

At six, there is an event being put on by my alumni assn. that will be featuring one of my favorite professors. The event will be held at our local historical museum, replete with free beer and wine, meat balls and those little cocktail weenies (god, I love those). So, about half the membership of NLF will be leaving the bar to go and pay homage to our institution of higher learning and in my case the place I still write checks to every month.

On Subsidized Travel:
Mrs JQP getting some sun
Several years ago my loving wife and I came upon a way to enjoy vacations at free or at the least at very reduced rates. It occurred to me one day when we were playing around with Monster, looking at the jobs listed. We started talking about all the places we would like to visit and I suggested that “What the hell, lets apply”.

Thus started our career in subsidized travel. It’s rather simple find a place you want to visit, hit the job adds for that location; send your stuff to them. They see what I high speed go getter you are (and I know you are, or you wouldn’t be reading this blog) and offer to fly you out for an interview.

This is where some lessons learned might be helpful. If your single, take them up on the fly thing but realize that you will most likely have a next day return ticket, however this can also be great for get away weekends if you like traveling alone (I do). I however recommend that you drive and have them reimburse you for gas and lodging.

Now, here are some of the perks, they often put you up someplace real nice in a effort to impress you and when they reimburse you they often pay cash (always ask, so you know what to budget).
FLA is priceless
This way you have a chance to check out to local lifestyle, relax and hey piss on it if you don’t get the job, you got a free trip out of the deal. Just an idea, it works for us. And its great during those cold winters, to “interview” for the weekend in Palm Springs etc...

Your Political Comment for the Day:
horse fly, horses ass
“Horse Fly meets Horses Ass”

On why I am a Prick at Work:
Ok, it never fails. If I walk into work in a good mood within 10 mins. someone has done something to piss me right the fuck off. In this case it’s once again office politics. I just got a long e-mail about how I didn’t follow a procedure.

Nope, I didn’t follow it, for two reasons, one I was not aware of it and yes I was able to prove it, I have this persons e-mails to me going back 4 years (I am one of those pricks who keep a file on everyone, so don’t fuck with me), and second…it’s fucking stupid.

This involves three people whose offices are right next to me. Right f’ing next to me! Come on, you couldn’t of pulled your head out of your ass and stuck it in the door saying something like “Hey, JQP we got a little problem” no, had we to get a shit load of ppl. involved etc…

Silly office politics, it takes away from the focus on what we should be doing. There I feel better. Thanks for letting me share with the group.

Your free music links for NLT:
http://www.npr.org/programs/asc/archives/grammys05/index.html#wilson
http://www.npr.org/programs/asc/archives/asc58/index.html#ferdinand
http://www.npr.org/programs/asc/archives/bestof2003/index.html#grandaddy
http://www.npr.org/programs/asc/archives/asc82/index.html#dubliners
Yes, NPR kicks ass....

Quote of the Day:
Never get angry. Never make a threat. Reason with people.
Mario Puzo, 'The Godfather' US novelist & screenwriter (1920 - 1999)

Today’s Bill:
There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
Omitted, all the voyage of their life
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar", Act 4 scene 3

I remain much like salt in a circumcision wound:

JQP esq.