Wednesday, September 14, 2005

I got them Gypsy/Back on the Beach Blues:

Thought for the Day:
With reasonable men I will reason; with humane men I will plea; but to tyrants I will give no quarter, nor waste arguments where they will certainly be lost.
William Lloyd Garrison US abolitionist & editor (1805 - 1879)

On Last Night:
Toward the end of my shift here at the Salt Mine, I received a call on the Land-Line down in Shaft #3. It was M. Chamberlain, Newspaper Man. He suggested that after my time in the decompression chamber I join him at my favorite bar for a pint of bitter ale.

For starters, in my opinion there is no such thing as bitter ale; bitter is an adjective that best describes the women that I once had relations with, not beer.
angry-woman
However, I agreed to his suggestion.

Upon my arrival, I was greeted warmly, has only a regular who is a well known big tipper can be. Big, tipper, you ask yourself? Yes, dear reader I am a big tipper. It must be so, you see I look at it has insurance. Yes, often people ask my views on subjects of the day and if well lubricated my self-editor does not function at the high levels it usually does. I tend to be truthful and forthright, which is often not what they really wanted to hear. Often this leads to a lively debate, of which I am not prone to suffer fools.

Last night for instance; I was holding forth about the state of our great land, blaming it of course on fluoride in the water, women working outside of the home, ponies, flypaper, and the world bank. I mean everyone knows that.

Yes, dear friends, I was on a roll and a few pain killers washed down with rot-gut rye whiskey (otherwise know as a Jim Morrison Cocktail) effectively shut down any pretence of self editing. Yes, I made Fr. O’Lush cry. Well, it’s his own fault, he should not of asked me what I thought of the British winning in Cricket, you the reader know I am a like long Australian Cricket fan. It’s at times like this, when you make clergy cry in public at a bar, your glad you’re a big tipper. But, I digress.

What I really wanted to talk about was that last night, the head bar maid came up to me with a stack of raffle tickets (she is also known as the Catholic-Church-Lady, ie: she will not take your drink order if you have not been to Mass, yes, folks this is a very Catholic town, in truth there are a shit load of Lutherans here to, but that’s a story for another time). She said that she had been hoping to see me and that since I was Irish (she is of German decent) and that she knew I would I would help with this raffle.

Being a public minded man, I agreed, so now I am selling tickets for a raffle held in Ireland. The proceeds go to a Catholic school in Belfast. Off I went on my appointed task.

gaelscoil

Being Irish, I know where to find my fellow Paddy’s. The bars. I had a great deal of success, the only people who refused my opportunity to help the poor wee’ children in Belfast buy bullet proof vests for their Step Dancing Team, were a few Protestants.

I was however, taken aback, by my host of the evening, M. Chamberlain, Newspaper Man, a man of both great influence and affluence. When he refused my offer of allowing him the opportunity to win one of many prizes in support of the children of Gaelscoil an Lonnain. Who wouldn’t want an autographed copy of an Irish Rovers CD?

He said, “Wait a minute, weren’t you guys the ones who resealed my drive-way last year?” and “Fixed my mother’s roof” you bastards! I want my 9,000.00 dollars back”. I had to shake him to bring him back into reality. Reminding him that it was my cousin from the Carolinas not me, I had not been in the traveling home repair business (AARP members receive a special discount) for years and that all of the charges were dropped in Minnesota. However, it was around that time in my life I developed a wanderlust for travel, one, which has stayed with me till this day.

The Importance of Good Guidance:
My high school guidance counselor once told me that among my problems chief was a lack of goals (he also included that I was white trash and a punk part-time student). So, in an effort to live up to those high standards he set for me today I am going to set a goal: To travel, to get away, to live out of a bag, sleeping in the back of a white 1963 Ford Econo-line van.
63 Ford
Yes, Living off of cheap red wine, cheese-wiz and saltine crackers. Seeing this great land and living life to the fullest. Think Easy Rider without the bugs in my teeth.
easy rider
This is my goal; this dear reader is my dream.

Your Recipe for the Week:
JQP’s Asian Half-Brother’s Cashew Chicken Stuffed Tomato’s
If you're planning buffet for a dozen, double the recipe.

1 cup coarsely broken Cashews
6 Large Ripe Tomatoes
1/4 cup salad oil
2 chicken breasts (raw), boned and cut into very small cubes
1 tsp. Montreal Steak Seasoning
1 cup onion cubed
1 1/2 cups cubed celery 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
1 tsp. sugar
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
2 tbsp. Tabasco
1 5 oz. can (2/3 cup) bamboo shoots, drained, cubed
1 5 oz. can water chestnuts, drained and cubed

1) In skillet, toast Cashews in hot oil, stirring constantly. remove nuts to paper towels.
2) Put chicken into skillet. Sprinkle with salt. Cook, stirring frequently, 5 to 10 minutes or till tender. Remove chicken.
3) Put onion, celery, and 1/2 cup of the chicken broth in skillet. Cook uncovered 5 minutes or till slightly tender.
4) Core/Hollow-out the Tomatoes, saving the inside to use in something else, leave about ½ or a little less around on the inside.
5)Combine sugar, cornstarch, soy sauce, and cooking sherry; add remaining chicken broth. Pour over vegetables in skillet. Cook till sauce thickens.
6) Add chicken, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, and walnuts. Heat through. 5 mins. Then chill for 10 or 15 mins.
7) Pack the Chicken mixture into the Tomatoes and serve. Damn tasty and something different.
(I got home form my charitable activities last night around 6:00pm and whipped this little wonder up for my sweet and loving bride, I should note for some of my readers that you can use ‘bout any meat, snake, rat, fish, all but beef, for this dish beef just don’t work)

Your Bill for the Day:
This royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle,
This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
This other Eden, demi-paradise,
This fortress built by Nature for herself
Against infection and the hand of war,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
Which serves it in the office of a wall
Or as a moat defensive to a house,
Against the envy of less happier lands,--
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
William Shakespeare, "King Richard II", Act 2 scene 1
(In honor of the Brits. Beating the Aussies in Cricket, the winner got a thimble full of ashes and yes this was a big deal to those primitive people.)

Quote for the Day:
Passive acceptance of the teacher's wisdom is easy to most boys and girls. It involves no effort of independent thought, and seems rational because the teacher knows more than his pupils; it is moreover the way to win the favour of the teacher unless he is a very exceptional man. Yet the habit of passive acceptance is a disastrous one in later life. It causes man to seek and to accept a leader, and to accept as a leader whoever is established in that position.
Bertrand Russell British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)

You may say I am a dreamer, but I’m not the only one, I remain:

JQP esq.