Monday, August 29, 2005

Masturbatory Fantasies and Belly Button Lint:

Thought for the Day:
I pack my trunk, embrace my friends, embark on the sea, and at last wake up in Naples, and there beside me is the Stern Fact, the Sad Self, unrelenting, identical, that I fled from.
Ralph Waldo Emerson, US essayist & poet (1803 - 1882)

The Weekend:
Has is getting to be my norm, it was a quiet weekend. Funny, how taking a break from the fast paced lifestyle of Social Butterfly & Leader of Fashion, can slow a person down. Friday my loving wife worked until late, I stayed in and listened to classical music and read Beowulf again. Wagner and Beowulf, it’s a wonder I didn’t saddle my steed and ride off to burn and pillage the border villages of Ohio.

Saturday, my loving wife only worked until 1:00 so at last we had some time to do a few things. As I said last week, we are thinking about moving out of the city, either to the lake area or out in the country. So, off we went to look at property on the lakes. And, what a trip it was.

I had read an ad earlier in the week, for a ½ acre lot with three cabins on a ski lake for 80.000 with deeded access and dock. Using the directions the nice old lady gave me, off we went. After about two hours of driving around, I am after all a man’s man, there was no way I was going to stop and ask for directions, we arrived at our destination.

Let me paint a visual picture for you the reader. Often when traveling the secondary roads of this great nation, the traveler might notice what in the 30’s known as motor-inns, refuge for the weary traveler in a day when air conditioning was yet unknown. These buildings (more often cabins) sit along the road, abandoned for decades.

After walking through over growth, we were able to make out the structures in question. Since it was a lake site the “cabins” (about the size of the common mini-van) had nautical themed names ie: the Lobster Cabin, the Shrimp Cabin and the Crawdad cabin. The dock, or best said, what remained of the dock was three posts sticking into the mud filled canal.

It truly looked as though my bride and I were the first people to enjoy the amenities of this vacation destination in over 40 years. It was truly a place that would be improved with a liberal application of gasoline and a box of Ohio Blue Tip matches. Yes, it did sound too good to be true. Dear reader it was.

Sunday, after Mass, the sweet and loving Mrs. JQP and I went into a house cleaning & yard work frenzy. I worked in the yard for the first time since my surgery in June. Funny, how quickly things can go to hell. After we had finished our tasks, on a whim we invited K-Man the Beat Drummer and his wife Lady Bird over for food and fellowship. It was the celebration of their anniversary and we were honored that they chose to spend it with us. I quickly made a thrown together meal that would meet everyone’s tastes.

I prepared; JQP’s Secret Recipe BBQ’ed chicken wings, three kinds of cheese with imported tea crackers, Greek Olives, spicy cucumbers and both water melon and musk melon, although I was informed by my Sweet Flower that in mixed company cantaloupe is the proper name for this treat of the fields. We washed it all down with Mimosas. For desert we enjoyed vanilla pound cake with Death By Chocolate ice cream And coffee. It was a nice long afternoon meal filled with dialog worthy of a Woody Allen film. Around 7, our guests left, and my flower and I retreated into the martial chamber.

The Day Ahead:
I have a meeting with the judges today, so it will be a fun day to gossip and “get the scoop” as to what going on. Such is the benefit of being on the inside. After that, its back to the office for a day filled with paperwork and grants. It’s a bad pain day, so I am trying to figure out a way to “work from home” later this afternoon. After watching the news this morning, I find myself glad I didn’t take that job in the “Big Easy”. I am in no mood for a hurricane.

In The News:
From today’s Washington Post, a administration whistle blower gets the ax.
WASHINGTON – A high-level contracting official who has been a vocal critic of the Pentagon’s decision to give Halliburton Co. a multibillion-dollar, no-bid contract for work in Iraq was removed from her job by the Army Corps of Engineers, effective Saturday.

Greenhouse came to prominence last year when she went public with her concerns over the volume of Iraq-related work given to Halliburton by the Corps without competition. The Houston-based oil services giant already had a competitively awarded contract to provide logistics support for the military in the Mid-east and was awarded a no-bid contract to repair Iraq oil fields on the eve of the war there in 2003.
“I can unequivocally state that the abuse related to contracts awarded to KBR represents the most blatant and improper abuse I have witnessed” in 20 years working on government contracts.

Greenhouse’s attorney, Michael Kohn, appealed the decision Friday in a letter to Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, saying it broke an earlier commitment to suspend the demotion until a “sufficient record” was available to address her allegations.
The Army said last October that it would refer her complaints to the Defense Department’s inspector general. The failure to abide by the agreement and the circumstances of the removal “are the hallmark of illegal retaliation,” Kohn wrote to Rumsfeld. He said the review Strock cited to justify his action “was conducted by the very subjects” of Greenhouse’s allegations, including the general.

Your song for the Day:
Wilco from Watch: I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
from the CD Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, hit the NPR site: http://www.npr.org/programs/asc/archives/asc14/index.html#wilco

Your Bill for the Day:
SONNET 150
O, from what power hast thou this powerful might
With insufficiency my heart to sway?
To make me give the lie to my true sight,
And swear that brightness doth not grace the day?
Whence hast thou this becoming of things ill,
That in the very refuse of thy deeds
There is such strength and warrantize of skill
That, in my mind, thy worst all best exceeds?
Who taught thee how to make me love thee more
The more I hear and see just cause of hate?
O, though I love what others do abhor,
With others thou shouldst not abhor my state:
If thy unworthiness raised love in me,
More worthy I to be beloved of thee.
(as always my thoughts go to you)

Quote of the Day:
An alcoholic is someone you don't like who drinks as much as you do.
Dylan Thomas, in Constantine Fitzgibbon, Welsh poet (1914 - 1953)

I remain the bon vivant worker bee in the hive of your mind:

JQP esq.