Monday, June 27, 2005

Slipping down the rabbit hole and other camp fire stories:

Thought for the Day:
Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast.
Douglas Adams English humorist & science fiction novelist (1952 - 2001)

And what a weekend it was sports fans:
Friday:
I spent a wonderful evening with the company of the local Greek and Macedonian community. I ask you, where else can a man like me fulfill his love a slow roasted lamb, octopus and hairy women all at one spot.
Greek woman are hot It is truly a one stop shop for a man of my nature. The cultural event was well attended and I must admit, I found it more enjoyable than the Highland games.

Saturday:
In the morning I awoke early (yes, I am the guy who mows his yard at 6:45am, with NPR blaring) to get a few things done around the house, by nine I was showered and off to yet another charity event, people love my talents in balloon art, so I am always in great demand this time of year.

After my appearance, I was off to the primitive state of Ohio, where some friends of mine from my days with the Regiment, run, shall I say an, “institute”. We spent some time reminiscing about.....
one year at summer camp ...“that one time in summer camp kinds of things” and spent the rest of the afternoon throwing our bodies at the earth from great heights.
sandals_and_socks
…and no, I didn’t end up in the hospital, or re-injure my leg, much to the dismay of those present, and I might add, much to the dissatisfaction of the sweet and kind Mrs. JQP, who I am told had a rather tidy sum bet that I would end-up being transported by ambulance.

We returned late, after being stopped at the border check-point to make sure we were not trying to smuggle in any Buckeye refugees or cat pelts back into Indiana (in the past few years, both have become a bit of a problem, less so now since we have sealed the border).

Sunday:
It was off to early Mass (since I was reading). And then home to a wonderful breakfast cooked by my ever so thoughtful and loving wife, we had pancakes, sausage, sausage gravy, eggs over easy, corned beef hash, and fried mush. After that light meal we went with a few friends down to one of the many (pretty and clear) rivers that dot the landscape around the city we call home and kayaked till dark. Later in the evening I spent time soaking in a tub reading some Tolstoy. All in all, a rather normal weekend.

Today:
Is the day of the much awaited site visit, it is with joy that I will put this behind me. Tonight, I will start preparing my “sick-room” in anticipation of my return home to the manor house post surgery. Perhaps, depending on how my state review goes, I might stop by my favorite bar for a drink of celebration or mourning.

Your Political thought for the Day:
I just shit my pants
(Caption:” Hee, hee, ya know, best of all no can tell, I cut ‘em pockets, outa my pants

In Other News:
Pastor Bob recently retuned from his two week trip with his family around the Cape of Detroit in a 1/3 scale replica on Kon Tiki, that he made in his basement over the winter.
Kon Tiki Look for a documentary of his trip airing next October on the Discovery Channel, or in August’s edition of “Boy’s Life”.

Your Bill for the day:
Oh, I am fortune's fool!"
--From Romeo and Juliet (III, i, 141)

Your Quote of the Day:
In the name of God, stop a moment, cease your work, look around you.
Leo Tolstoy Russian mystic & novelist (1828 - 1910)

I remain, much like a wishing well:

JQP esq.