Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Just how much wood would a woodchuck chuck?

Thought for the Day:
Do not hire a man who does your work for money, but him who does it for love of it.
Henry David Thoreau, US Transcendentalist author (1817 - 1862)

On the Task at Hand:
I for the past few weeks have been a grant writing machine. Why you ask? Well, dear reader it could be in part due to the fact that our distinguished Governor of this great state known as Indiana, was nicknamed the “Ax” by good ol’ W, when he worked for him a while back. Yes, that’s right our Governor Mitch Daniels has a nickname that is best suited to a maximum security prison (perhaps someday, brothers and sisters, perhaps someday).

However there are other factors at hand, first and foremost is that I will be on the road through-out this land spreading the good word, while living out of a suitcase and spending my nights wondering just how clean the sheets are at the motel that still advertises “Color TV” and “weekly rates available”. Such is the rest of the month of April well into May. Yes, race fans, my posts starting next week will be a bit more hit and miss. Oh, but the stories I will have to tell upon my return.

That being said, I should also note that my flower and I will be in Indy all day Wednesday, consulting with a surgeon who does the Pacers knees. Yes, once again under the knife I go. I am told that I can look forward to being off work for 6 to 8 weeks (great way to spend your summer, in pain and on crutches). Now, you see why I am working at a frenzied pace.

Your Moral to the Story:
beaver2
Sometimes being a busy little beaver doesn’t pay off, however on an unrelated side note, my sweet and loving wife’s given name by the Indian tribe she grew-up with was “Little-Beaver”, sadly however my typing and/or spelling skills are even worst in their dialect of Miami, so I will not attempt to type it.

Your Bill for the Day:
SONNET 139
O, call not me to justify the wrong
That thy unkindness lays upon my heart;
Wound me not with thine eye but with thy tongue;
Use power with power and slay me not by art.
Tell me thou lovest elsewhere, but in my sight,
Dear heart, forbear to glance thine eye aside:
What need'st thou wound with cunning when thy might
Is more than my o'er-press'd defense can bide?
Let me excuse thee: ah! my love well knows
Her pretty looks have been mine enemies,
And therefore from my face she turns my foes,
That they elsewhere might dart their injuries:
Yet do not so; but since I am near slain,
Kill me outright with looks and rid my pain.

Your recipe for the Week:
Limpin’ Susan

Ingredients

1/2 small green bell pepper
1/2 small yellow onion
3 cloves garlic
1 pound okra
1 pound medium sized shrimp
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup long-grain white rice
2 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon salt
Ground black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste

Directions

Seed the bell pepper. Mince the bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Cut the okra into 1/4 inch thick rounds. Peel the shrimp. Make a shallow incision along the back of each shrimp and lift out and discard the black vein in the back.

In a large skillet over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and pepper and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes to release its flavor. Add the rice, stir well until the grains are coated, and cook, stirring often, until opaque, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the okra, stock, salt, and black and cayenne peppers. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, about 20 minutes.

Taste and adjust the seasonings. Stir in the shrimp and cook until the shrimp curl and turn pink, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and serve. Serves 4


Quote for the Day:
Anyone who works is a fool. I don't work - I merely inflict myself upon the public.
Robert Morley

Much like a dead Beaver, I remain:

JQP esq.