Monday, February 21, 2005

RIP Uncle Duke

Your Thought for the Day:
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter S. Thompson US journalist (1939 -2005 )

Gather around, oh Brothers and Sisters of the Out-Lands:

HST

It is with a heavy heart I write this, at 5:00 am this morning I learned that one of my life-long idols, a role model if you will, passed away from a self-inflected gunshot wound.

HST in Vietnam.

Hunter S. Thomson was more than a whacked-out author/journalist, he showed a way of life to those of us who prefer to color out-side the lines of convention.

I first read HST at the ripe old age of 14, its was his book about his time spent with that male social club known as the Hells Angels, what a light hearted group of lads they were, with their search for truth, kicks and chic’s all without our losing a childlike wonder at the world.

Later, I read everything I could get my hands on. In the late 80’s I heard him speak, and found that while a great writer (without HST there would be no PJ O’Rourke) he was a difficult to follow speaker, perhaps it was the water glass full of Bourbon, perhaps it was to many drug fueled road trips into the desert.

I was never the less honored when the great man signed a bottle of Kentucky’s finest for me and not a little broken hearted when he left with said bottle.

Rest easy good man, your travels are now at an end, a toast to you, our Jack Kerouac, our warrior-sage.

On a side note:
I didn’t have my reoccurring dream last night about a "Post Apocalyptic Beach Party with Jumping Hippy Cave Girls:, perhaps dear friends it was a sign, you know being half Irish and half Gypsy I believe in such things.

However the sweet and loving Mrs. JQP had a dream that during the night I had packed up all of our belongings and loaded them into a moving van, where she found me laying naked on the hood, and according to her, when asked why I was naked on the roof a moving van, I replied, “Baby, where we are going we don’t need clothes.” Wonder what Freud would say about that?

Your Quote of the Day:
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S. Thompson US journalist (1939 -2005 )

Humble, as only I can be, I remain:

John Q. Public, esq.
(more news later)