Tuesday, February 15, 2005

On the Joys of Service to my Fellow Man:

Your Thought for the Day:
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. Niccolo Machiavelli Italian dramatist, historian, & philosopher (1469 - 1527)

(God-Damn, but I am glad I read Machiavelli at an early age, his works sit on my book shelf right next to The Anarchist’s Cook Book and my bound editions of Soldier of Fortune magazine.)

Aggressive personality:
Dear reader, I had my Mac Daddy moves all planed out, oh yes…she would be mine, Mrs. JQP was to be putty in the hands of the master. Sadly, I did not turn my cell phone off, I had been home about 15 mins. and just started supper when I got a call, one of those, this is what you make the big bucks for, suck it up, calls. The only cool thing was that the folks who called me are people I respect and enjoy working with.

So, on the road I went. In my line of work there are few things more frustrating than not being able to prove what you need to. What made it worst was that when I got there I knew the prick, a card he played the second I got there. Needless to say, my Lentil vow of not hurting someone has come into question.

(the next 6 paragraphs are edited out but will be sent via e-mail to those of you who are accustom to such things, of course without any identifying information)

I then returned to the manor house at about 9:30, my sweet and loving wife had already made supper, and what a wonderful supper it was, she knew I was out on a shitty call, so she made me one of my all time favorite comfort foods, Pork Chops and Pork Chop gravy, nothing soothes the soul like gravy bread, (and yes, this is how white trash I am). She even made hominy (of course from a can), I was so fried that after supper I fell fast asleep.

This morning, I got called in to the big dog’s office, it seems there is a feeling that I might be a little to involved in this case, so I am getting pulled. At first I was pissed, then I was hurt, that has never happened to me before, but as I sit here, and think that yes, hate is coming much, much to easy for me these days, it is a sign that I am under a lot of stress, so perhaps I should take a step back, you guys are right, thank-you for looking out for me....

That’s what I told them anyway, you don’t stay one step ahead of them by reacting to their shit. It was suggested I spent some time engaging in a few of my hobbies, perhaps go to EAP, take time of the on-call role, work more at the office, so I just got off the phone with friend (who for the sake of confidentiality will only be known as the G-Man, he and I are going to have a three hour lunch and blow of some steam). So, there….

Post-Note: I was just asked if I would like to take the day off, guess, I must of pissed in someones pool big time (insert giggle here) last night, but it's nothing but a bump in the road, Oddly while I was typing this the G-Man called me and said that he had invited some mutual acquaintances out to lunch with us; these two gentlemen are club owners and one of whoms wife makes the best god-damn Pasta cu i 'ammari I have ever had in my life, fuck I hope he invites us over for dinner.

Road Trip:
Well, the Sweet and Loving Mrs. JQP told me this morning that she has an event that she has to cover both Friday and Saturday. We had planed on her going to the “Big-Wig” meeting with me in Indy, chilling in the Brick-city and then heading to Memphis in the morning, getting us there in time to start eaten. So, that kind of fucks up Plan A, her Plan B is for me to head on down after my meeting alone and have a good time and truth be known my Plan C would be to see what kind of shape Grandpa is in.

Work seems to think the road time out of town would be good for me and they are right, spending time with J Thom, Mel and my God-daughter (she is just cute as hell) eating Ribs and Chicken and meeting Blues & Jazz ppl while drinking comp’ed drinks at BB King’s place (and yes, I have met him more times than I can count) would be a welcome distraction. So, who the fuck knows.

On Moods and there Effect:
Other than that, I am oddly in a great mood, there is something very rewarding about having a place to focus you rage and your anger. Funny, its like its not even about what happened, things tend move into history, its like the prize isn’t wanted anymore or is un-important, what becomes important is the rage, and oddly its kind of fun, truth be known I have not felt this good since I was in the service of this great nation. Shits and giggles....

I am giddy like a little school girl. Oh, the fun I can have, all because I am a very, very patent man. Perhaps that might be the subject for another post well after the statute of limitations has expired. (On advice of Counsel, I am to insert that the above was a work of fiction and an experiment in creative writing)

Your word/Phrase for the Day:
Wack Bastard: Common insult, usually pertaining to a man.
You wack bastard, I oughta smack you in the mouth!

Your Recipe for the week:
Since Easter is coming up and many people buy their little girls rabbits for the holiday I thought I would give you something practical to do with that family pet when your child no longer has and interest in it.

Rabbit and Pork Pie with Gin and Lemon:
Ingredients:
3 3/4 cups (375 g) plain flour (All purpose)
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt water
125 g lard, cut into small pieces
250 g boneless rabbit meat, cubed
11 generous tsp Dijon mustard
6 juniper berries, crushed
500 g minced pork
250 g unsmoked bacon
4 tbsp gin
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
beaten medium egg, to glaze
1 packet of aspic powder
300 ml water

Method:
1. To make the pastry: Sieve the flour with the salt, make a well in the centre. Heat the water with the lard until the lard has melted, pour this mixture into the flour.
2. Mix to a soft dough and knead until smooth. Keep warm, covered, or it will dry out.
3. Preheat the oven to 200°C, 400°F, Gas Mark 6.
4. Put the rabbit into a bowl with the mustard and juniper berries, stir until the pieces are coated.
5. Process the minced pork with the bacon and then stir in half the gin, with the lemon zest and parsley.
6. Line the base of a 1 kg loaf tin with greaseproof paper and then line the whole tin with three-quarters of the pastry, keeping the remainder wrapped in a warm place until required.
7. Stir the rabbit pieces into the minced meat mixture and press the mixture into the lined tin.
8. Cover with a pastry lid made from the rolled out, reserved pastry. Seal and crimp the edges firmly, slash the top several times and pull back the pastry so the holes do not close during cooking.
9. Put the tin on a baking tray and bake it for 30 minutes, glaze with the beaten egg and then reduce the oven temperature to 180°C,350°F, Gas Mark 4 and continue cooking for a further 1¼ hours.
10. Make up the aspic powder using 300 ml water, add the remaining gin and pour the liquid slowly into the cool pie.
11. Once set, wrap the pie and store it in a cool place for several days before you cut it.
serving amount, serves 4 - 6

(And who says the English can’t cook)

Today’s Bill:
"How now? A rat? Dead, for a ducat, dead!"
--From Hamlet (III, iv, 23)

Today’s Moral to the story:
Little men would do well to let sleeping dogs lie

Quote of the Day:
To live well. It is the greatest revenge. The Talmud

Predictable and still easy to find, often to a fault, I remain:

JQP