Monday, February 14, 2005

The Weekend in Review:

Thought for the Day:
The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp.
John Berry, Flight of White Crows

On my fun filled weekend:

Friday:
Upon my return from the nether regions of the great state that is Indiana (funny, there really is no easy way to get to most parts of this State). I found 23 phone messages waiting on me at the Salt Mine I call my office. Fridays and Mondays are always busy days in my line of work, let me be more exact; Hell always breaks lose at 4:00 in the afternoon on Fridays. Mondays it’s always busy time cleaning up from the weekend.

Well, after doing what I do, I hurried home to pick-up the Ever Sweet and very Hungry Mrs. John Q. Public for a dinner. We were joined by some old chums from my college days, a married couple that is more Catholic than the Pope, but oddly find both my loving wife and I quite entertaining. We enjoyed a reckless dinner conversation followed by a pitcher of beer at a neighborhood tap-house. All in all a pleasant evening, with only seven work calls and two calls from friends asking if we were going out, or where we were going to. My wife and I found ourselves in bed by 11:00.

Saturday:
It, was a pleasant day, which reminded me of those carefree days of youth playing in the bogs in coastal Wales. No sun, rain and in the 30s-40s. A good day to work on the boat which is what I did, progress, dear reader, I am making progress; I think at sometime in the future it might even float.

Late that afternoon I joined my wife at the Macedonian Roadhouse for an early supper, and then I was off to the Southland, as it was my turn to sit with Grandfather. One thing I must say for the old man, is that he is stubborn, I mean how many times do you need Last Rites? He floats in and out, but while I was there Sat. Night he was doing good and in a chatty mood, we spoke at length about how that ”god-damn little prick in the Whitehouse is going to dismantle everything FDR set-up for the little guy” and how his father had died during the flu epidemic of 1918. By morning he was unresponsive again. We are told this could go on for some time. Hell of a good man, my grandfather and a hell off a good family to have around. I was then off for a mad dash to the manor.

Sunday:
Upon my arrival at the manor I showered and changed in record time and off to an early Mass we went. (Murph, we saved a seat for you up front, I assume you must have been sick) You see my dear wife had an event to attend. After Mass, we were on the road to Detroit City for a Grammies party, dear reader…I should note that the last sleep I had gotten was on Friday. But, never the less I went along, thinking I could sleep in the car.

I don’t know about other married men, but there are few things in life more terrifying that trying to sleep in a car while your wife is driving. Funny, how a sudden slamming on of the breaks or a muttered “oh..fuck” can wake you from a sound slumber. If you add to the fact that my little flower is a native Michigander and they tend to have one speed (fast as hell) regardless of the weather.

However, the party was something else, Motown at its finest, I found the open bar and food buffet and proceeded to fit right in and my little flower was hanging with the shakers and movers in her world. Oddly, I didn’t have the problem sleeping on the way home, the sweet and kind Mrs. JQP said she was glad we had leather seats because I drooled and seemed to be enjoying a dream or two. My…the dreams of ghetto booty I had…

Today & This Week:
Today upon my return to the manor I found myself unable to return to sleep, so I did what I always do, I decided to go into work. However, before I went to work I took the hounds for a walk around the neighborhood.

Now you ever notice that as show melts it turns to ice? And to that add about a inch of water, it makes for a slippery surface? Well needless to say I took a bit of a spill, to the point that my knee was about 3 inches away from where it should be if its going to say…support my body weight. Like the Boy Scout I am I had my cell phone with me, because after my fall, I sent the hounds home with the message “Lassie, tell mom Timmy fell down the well” sadly they took that to mean, lets sit on the porch and wait to be let in.

I called my loving and eager wife, and said “Help me, I have fallen and I cant get up” She drove down the street to get me, and under my instruction was able to re-set my knee into a proper functional position, she was however less than pleased about being woken and called from her bed. Her statement to me was “I can’t let you out of my fucking sight can I? Well, at least it would have been an accident, that way I get my double indemnity”. My lil flower…

What a productive day has been so far, I have may leg wrapped up like a mummy, a call into my ortho-surgeon (we bowl together), gotten two grants done and am all prepped for a conference call this morning.

As for the rest of the week, many things are up in the air, my grandfather, my leg, etc… but I am to be on the road a great deal. And yes, to my fans in Indy, I plan to be there on Friday. However, if we can swing it, we will be heading down to Memphis for a visit and some of Gus’s Fried Chicken. I have been craving it for three weeks, (Gee, JQP how do I get to Gus's Fried Chicken in Memphis? Well, dear reader if you are comming off of I-240 & Poplar, take I-240 north to I-40 Little Rock. Right before crossing the bridge into Arkansas, take the Riverside Drive exit. At second light turn left. At next light turn right. This is Front Street. It's down a little bit on the left-hand side.).

On VD:
So, far a few people have asked me, “what are you doing for Mrs. John Q. Public today? (Valentines Day). My answer dear friends is; very little. As my Truthful and Passionate wife said to me this morning, I don’t need Hallmark to tell me that today’s the day to love my man and maybe give him a little action. However she did let it slip that over the weekend she had shaved her monkey (guess that wasn’t for me). Now marriage is a funny thing, more so if you’re us. We tend to be that couple that colors outside the lines in most things. We got involved in “one of those discussions” this morning while she was helping me wrap my knee up.

You see my little “China Doll” was my best friend before we ever slept together, hell, she was my roommate for a year before we even…, that being said, there are times in marriage, when you are not who you want to be, and your spouse is not who you want them to be. There are good times and there are bad, but if you can be best friends through it all at least you’ll always have someone to go grab a beer with and chase skirts. I love you my flower…

On a side note:
Since I want some wild, kinky, freaky, sex, I think I might give her a bath and wash her hair (she loves that) and then a nice long massage, followed by about two hours of begging.

Today’s Bill:
SONNET 87
Farewell! thou art too dear for my possessing,
And like enough thou know'st thy estimate:
The charter of thy worth gives thee releasing;
My bonds in thee are all determinate.
For how do I hold thee but by thy granting?
And for that riches where is my deserving?
The cause of this fair gift in me is wanting,
And so my patent back again is swerving.
Thyself thou gavest, thy own worth then not knowing,
Or me, to whom thou gavest it, else mistaking;
So thy great gift, upon misprision growing,
Comes home again, on better judgment making.
Thus have I had thee, as a dream doth flatter,
In sleep a king, but waking no such matter.

Your Poem for the Day:

Leave Me, O Love, Which Reachest But to Dust

Leave me, O Love, which reachest but to dust,
And thou my mind aspire to higher things:
Grow rich in that which never taketh rust:
Whatever fades, but fading pleasure brings.

Draw in thy beams, and humble all thy might,
To that sweet yoke, where lasting freedoms be:
Which breaks the clouds and opens forth the light,
That doth both shine and give us sight to see.

O take fast hold, let that light be thy guide,
In this small course which birth draws out to death,
And think how evil becometh him to slide,
Who seeketh heaven, and comes of heavenly breath.
Then farewell world, thy uttermost I see,
Eternal Love, maintain thy life in me.
Sir Philip Sidney

Quote for the Day:
There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing" German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

I remain yours very truly:

JQP DVM