Monday, January 24, 2005

A day at the Slave Labor Camp:

Thought for the Day:
(I know: "Guns Don't Kill People." But I suspect that they have something to do with it. If you point your finger at someone and say, "Bang, bang, you're dead," not much actually happens.) -- Molly Ivins

On the Weekend in Review:
Well, Friday the Sweet and Loving Mrs. John Q. Public and I went out to dinner with Major Steve and his wife Mrs. Steve. It was a night full of Macedonian delicacies, involving picked meats and farm produce. It was good to see the Major and learn of our hard fought campaigns in distant lands. I found it most rewarding the he shares my belief the current Sec. of Defense, should be fired and charged with crimes. All in all a nice night out on the town, we were home in bed by 11. (We are getting old you know.)

Saturday: we stayed around home, rented movies, and read books. We are finally getting our use of the fire place after living in the manor for three years. I cooked the chicken and it turned out great. There is something inherently rewarding about sipping tea, while reading a good book in front of the fire with the hounds at your feet and your love napping next to you.

In other news, mamma was in heat and the temp was right, so I was called upon to perform my husbandly duties, repeatedly. (Something that I still have not recovered from, it is true; I am not 18 anymore, not by a long shot)

Sunday: we were off to early mass, a brisk walk indeed. It is handy that we live within 3 blks. of our parish, it also has its downsides. They know they can call you at the last min. if they need help with something. After Mass, I made stuffed steaks that were simply wonderful. A napped in preparation of afternoon football. Has many of you know, I am a Pats fan and to a less extent a Falcons supporter.

While napping on the couch, my kind and loving wife woke me, I replied, with no, no again, please I need to sleep, to which she retorted, silly man, dear husband, I was wondering if you would like to go to the rugby bar with me and watch the game. It was at this point, I asked her, who was she and what had she done with my wife? Needless to say, we were soon off to the rugby bar and watched the games in the company of a few hundred close friends.

I ended up playing darts and she unknown to me gambled, now its not commonly known, but my sweet and giving wife has a bit of a problem with gambling. After, ending up 200 bucks in the hole, we decided it was time to go.

Plans for today: well, as a cop-friend of mine informed me last night, we are appearing in the same court case this afternoon. So, soon it will be time to put on a tie and be a grown-up. However first thing this morning I have a planing meeting with the Borg, fun fun, right up there with getting an elective circumcision.

This evening I am having dinner and drinks with Monsignor Jerry at the bar across the street. We try to get together once a month but with work and illness, we are three months behind, it will be good to catch up with him, he is my trusted advisor and a god-damn funny man.

Your drink of the Week:

The Rainbow-Bright Colon Cleaner and Weight Loss Cocktail:
Juice of three fresh squeezed lemons
4 tea spoons of cayenne pepper
3 table spoons of natural maple syrup
2 tea spoons of Tabasco (Texas Pete’s can substituted)
8 oz. of Sky Vodka
(serve in a pint glass and make sure you have unobstructed access to a restroom, this will take off 15 pounds in two weeks if you have seven of these little wonders a day)


Word and/or Phrase for the Day:
Kablamo Method: Noun, A technique used to defeat opponents in a contest or game.
Jay tried to fuck with me during the morning staff meeting; I had to use the old Kablamo Method to put him in his place.


Your Southern Words for the Day:
Ate/Aight -- 7 + 1. or the number after 7, can also be the number before 9.
and…
Daid -- Not alive

Your Poem for the Day:

The House by the Side of the Road
THERE are hermit souls that live withdrawn
In the place of their self-content;
There are souls like stars, that dwell apart,
In a fellowless firmament;
There are pioneer souls that blaze the paths
Where highways never ran-
But let me live by the side of the road
And be a friend to man.

Let me live in a house by the side of the road
Where the race of men go by-
The men who are good and the men who are bad,
As good and as bad as I.
I would not sit in the scorner's seat
Nor hurl the cynic's ban-
Let me live in a house by the side of the road
And be a friend to man.

I see from my house by the side of the road
By the side of the highway of life,
The men who press with the ardor of hope,
The men who are faint with the strife,
But I turn not away from their smiles and tears,
Both parts of an infinite plan-
Let me live in a house by the side of the road
And be a friend to man.

I know there are brook-gladdened meadows ahead,
And mountains of wearisome height;
That the road passes on through the long afternoon
And stretches away to the night.
And still I rejoice when the travelers rejoice
And weep with the strangers that moan,
Nor live in my house by the side of the road
Like a man who dwells alone.

Let me live in my house by the side of the road,
Where the race of men go by-
They are good, they are bad, they are weak, they are strong,
Wise, foolish - so am I.
Then why should I sit in the scorner's seat,
Or hurl the cynic's ban?
Let me live in my house by the side of the road
And be a friend to man.

Sam Walter Foss
(I read this one over the weekend and liked how he put it together, kind of a cool thought)

Todays Bill:
SONNET 150
O, from what power hast thou this powerful might
With insufficiency my heart to sway?
To make me give the lie to my true sight,
And swear that brightness doth not grace the day?
Whence hast thou this becoming of things ill,
That in the very refuse of thy deeds
There is such strength and warrantize of skill
That, in my mind, thy worst all best exceeds?
Who taught thee how to make me love thee more
The more I hear and see just cause of hate?
O, though I love what others do abhor,
With others thou shouldst not abhor my state:
If thy unworthiness raised love in me,
More worthy I to be beloved of thee.

On Health:
Man, I am feeling a lot better today…dang lets hear it for good drugs.

On Sports:
Go Pats!

Thought for the Day:
It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion. And usually easier. -- Robert A. Heinlein, Notebooks of Lazarus

I remain; a sharp dresser and good dancer,

JQP DDS