Monday, December 06, 2004

The Weekend in Review:


Friday:
What a day…. Mistakes were made and alcohol was a factor.
It started when I and a few co-workers went out right after work (4:01PM). Drinks were flowing by say 4:02. It was our normal “debriefing session” where everyone went over the nasty cases they were working on and the office politics up-date. However, the casual reader should be warned that a large group of professional humanitarians can and often do raise a great deal of hell with each other and civilians when large volumes of alcohol are provided. That and they tend to buy, which of course put me in double jeopardy due to my Irish decent.

I don't like to pass up free drinks. However it was a good opportunity to taste test the new cocktails for the week and try the latest Bar-Trick, and yes it does work.

Well that was 4 to 7:30. At which time a former neighbor from those days of joyful condo living and his wife asked me if I would like a ride home, without hesitation I said Yes! It seems they are in the market for a large old home and wanted to see both our neighborhood and the manor house. Funny, I said…I am in the market to sell this money-pit/I mean jewel on the rough. She loves the house, and he was impressed with all the infrastructure shit that has been done, so good lord willing, a sale might be made.

7:45 till 9, what I thought was the end to my evening was dear reader only a brief respite. My friends the firemen called and said “Hey we are at a titty-bar over by the interstate, come on over” I said: “Well, gee fellows I would love to but A) I am kind of drunk B) I don’t have the cash for titty-bars and C) I don’t have a ride (after leaving my Church Bus at the first stop of the evening.)” Their reply was “No problem be ready someone will be there in 10 minutes.” About 8 minutes later an off-duty cop friend of mine, was pulling up to the manor gates and dear reader we were off to the races.

Now is time for a little known fact; its fun to drive with a cop if you are not in the back seat of a squad car, in cuffs. They drive about 100 miles an hour with little or no regard for other people on the road. Needless to say we made record time. So, for about an hour and a half I enjoyed the company of stripers, firemen, cops and EMTs, over-all a rather tasteless crowd, I fit in well.

9 to 1:00AM: Around 9:00 in was able to hear my cell phone ringing, over a very loud retrospective of the works of NIN and AC/DC, it was the Joyful and Concerned Mrs. John Q. Public. It seems that one of her minions had forgotten something necessary for a great rock concert and was heading back the get it (her offices are oddly, also close to the interstate) and would I like a ride to the concert.

At this point, I was: Hey what the fuck, why not. So, off to Kenny Wayne Sheppard I went. Where I found myself enjoying free drink and food at the VIP lounge. It was a good show from what I heard of it and I did enjoy a wonderful foot massage from one of the sales-girls, so all in all, not a bad way to watch a concert. At which point the Forceful and Loving Mrs. John Q. Public returned from either the tour bus or back stage and asked me if I would like to join her for a few cocktails and some food at a place other that a rock and roll venue, I readily agreed.

1:00 till 3:00: Enter my good friend and comrade “The Serb-Sniper” when I got out of the club, I saw that I had 9 voice messages on my cell phone, in retrieving them and consulting my English-Serbo-Croatian language dictionary, I was able to find that both the Sweet and Wonderful Mrs. John Q. Public and I were invited to a wedding feast being held at a local lawyers home (someone who specializes in murder defense, and good man to know). What a time it was, I don’t think I understood more the 9 words said to me, but the food and drink were wonderful. There is something about roasting a lamb in a rich mans back yard that really brings home to you how truly multicultural Indiana is.

3:00AM: I was able to pull the Sweet and Esthetically Ethnic Mrs. John Q. Public, away from the dancing (the Serbian Sword Dance, henceforth my concern) and we made our escape into the early morning hours.

Saturday:
Was a bit more relaxed, Mrs. JQP had a wine tasting to attend, while invited, I felt a better course of action for myself would be to crawl out into the street and hope that the next car along hit me. However that was not in the cards, dear reader it was football time. Enter my dear friend and colleague Tattoo John. After knocking at the manor gate for an hour, Tattoo John an accomplished second story man, let himself into the house.

Waking me gently by shouting “My god, Their in the wire, We need Artillery Support now, I’m hit, Medic!” I then crawled out from under the bed with a machete and began chasing him for about 15 minutes. During which he reminded me that today (Saturday) was National Semi-Final Football and we were late.

9:00 am- 7:00pm so, off we went. Dear reader, it was some good football, and some great food. After the game, we found ourselves at the Rugby bar, enjoying the fellowship of friends. At which point the Sweet and Kind Mrs. JQP joined us post her wine tasting for some wonderful chicken curry. After supping with fellow alumni we made our exit, on the way I picked up the Church Bus and at my return home I was greeted with a Bloody Mary (has is the tradition it seems). We built a fire and settled in to watch movies, (The Saddest Song in the World, you should watch only under the influence of LSD, and Christmas Story, always a favorite and set in Indiana). I believe we were in bed by 10:00PM.

Sunday:
A day of rest for some, not for me JQP. 4:00AM, I made chili, it is an often over looked breakfast treat. I then cleaned my gutters, packed mulch around my award winning Paw-Paw bushes, showered and Read at Mass.

We then we hit the road, we are not the sit around on weekends kind of people Mrs. JQP and I. Off we went to the lakes, looking a property. Returning home via the Ohio tribal lands, we stoped to eat, I was hungry of some deep fried pickles and pizza from a small roadhouse in know on the border. We returned to the manor around 6:00, I believe I was in bed by 6:30. All in all a normal weekend.

Your Thought for a Monday:
At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid.
Friedrich Nietzsche German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Hard at work, protecting you and yours I remain,

JQP