Monday, November 15, 2004

Weekend in Review

On Sports:
Well St. Francis won again, it’s always nice when your team wins, however they have not lost any games so far this year, truth be known they have not even come close to losing any games, so it is a bit anticlimactic. However they are in the title-games now, so that should make for some good football. I got home in time Saturday to watch Notre Dame lose again, in the last few seconds. People wonder why I have a bad heart. The Colts had a bit of a blow out last night has well, boredom and sadness, not a good weekend for football.

On Saturday Night:
I went to my friend the Macedonians bar for his birthday celebration. Not a lot of woo-who drinking or Greek dancing, but the food was great. He sent me home with two quarts of pickled cabbage and what appeared to be half of a lamb. It’s always nice to enjoy the company of “good-people” and I must admit my grasp of the Eastern European/Balkan languages is greatly improving with the tutelage of my two friends; the Macedonian and my other friend the Serb Sniper (that’s a long story, perhaps for some other day).

Up-Stairs Bath status:
It has become the Albatross around my neck. I have issued a stop work order until I can get someone who knows their ass from a hole in the ground in there because I certainly don’t.

On Food:
Man, I love food. I love cooking. Since I already had calls for left-overs from Saturdays feast, I will tell you the secret ingredient for the Jerked Pork Steaks. It was Jerk and Coke, yep that’s it, let it sit overnight, and cook it up, use just a little Coke, not a lot.

Sunday I made Irish stew and I still have a lot (I always cook for 20) so it’s a safe bet I will be eating that for the next few days. I am however, due to a request planning on making Borsch this week (mine is really good).

The Manly art of killing Bambi:
Well, as is often the case I did not do what I had planed. Fate is always an odd bitch, is she not?

I got up very early Sunday (which is not big deal, I get up early anyway) and went deer hunting, or as I like to think of it as; freezing my ass off in a woods while wearing orange. Did I get a deer? No, I didn’t really plan to. No nothing poetic here, I just don’t like to kill unless I have to.

How did I John Q. Public, end up with my ass up a tree you ask? Easy answer, I couldn’t say no. Well I could of, but it meant a lot to an old buddy. So, I went off on a male bonding adventure that for once didn’t include beer and stripers. But, you know what; it was nice to be out there, cold, but nice and it was nice to watch the sunrise from a tree-stand. Would have been nicer if I didn’t wear the same shade of orange that is common at city-county lock-up, and if I wasn’t armed, but hey what the fuck. Oh, did I mention that my buddy is a plumber? Always thinking I am…


Sunday afternoon:
I went to the late Mass. I got there early, so I decided to pray the Rosary. Little Kevin sent me one in the mail last week along with mementos from Larry Flynn’s Hustler Club and City Lights Books in St. Fran. So, I am sitting there praying this nice looking Franciscan Rosary and I soon notice that it a little off, there are extra beads (a lot of extra beads), so, either Lil’ Kevin got me a rosary from the $1.00 rosary pile at the tee-shirt shop or he must of thought I needed those extra Hail Mary’s. I will let you the reader decide.

Sunday Evening:
Later I joined my friend Tattoo John at the Rugby Bar and discussed his plans for the next big adventure. In talking about his life of wanderlust, he reminded me, that at one time I was a fellow traveler. Yes I was… and long time ago. Dear reader, it is true that you don’t own things; they own you, whether that is a car, a house, or your heart. God-Speed Tattoo John, God-Speed.

While in discussion, we met a man from the Big Easy, who for the sake of identification will remain known as Big Easy or B.E. for short.

Now here is what’s odd, I was sitting in a Rugby Bar on a Sunday night in northern Indiana talking about places I had been, sharing on the road stories, and Big Easy, chimes in, with a “What the fuck you were never there, bull shit…” (While this may not seem odd to those who know me, I am getting to the odd part) B.E. had been to some of the exact same places (El Salvador, Guatemala, Costa Rica, and a person fav of mine Panama) and around the same time (late 80’s early 90’s).

We did the check-you-out thing, you know, the “oh, really…” “ what color was that place painted”, “what side of the street was that on”, etc… its funny how the mind works, I was able to recall names of people who I had not thought of in years and not a few places I would like to forget.

We drank several toasts to people we knew, a few to people we wish we didn’t know, some to people we wish we still knew, and to those poor souls who are destined to met us. You should be able to find yourself in this list somewhere. I always believe that you meet people for a reason. I don’t know why I met Big Easy last night, but met him I did, and he is “Good People”.

Today’s Poem:

Buffalo Bill's defunct
who used to
ride a watersmooth-silver
stallion and break
onetwothreefourfive
pigeonsjustlikethat
Jesus he was a handsome man
and what i want to know is
how do you like your blueeyed boy
Mister Death

ee cummings

Todays New Word:

kabbalah
The insane, irrational & contradictory babblings spat forth from the foaming mouths of Jewish mystics. Much beloved of celebrities and others persons of weak character who delude themselves into believing that following the current trendy zeitgeist imparts upon them some degree of depth and/or personal philosophy.
Kabbalah makes scientology look rational

Today's Bill:

SONNET 14
Not from the stars do I my judgment pluck;
And yet methinks I have astronomy,
But not to tell of good or evil luck,
Of plagues, of dearths, or seasons' quality;
Nor can I fortune to brief minutes tell,
Pointing to each his thunder, rain and wind,
Or say with princes if it shall go well,
By oft predict that I in heaven find:
But from thine eyes my knowledge I derive,
And, constant stars, in them I read such art
As truth and beauty shall together thrive,
If from thyself to store thou wouldst convert;
Or else of thee this I prognosticate:
Thy end is truth's and beauty's doom and date.


Today’s Quote:

The important thing was to love rather than to be loved.
W. Somerset Maugham, 'Of Human Bondage', 1915
English dramatist & novelist (1874 - 1965)

You know I got to use both ee cumming and Somerset in the same posting today. Maybe this will be a good week.

The thinking man, I remain:

JQP