Monday, November 08, 2004

Miscellaneous Monday:

On Driving:
You know, one thing I love about Indianapolis besides the constant road work, is the traffic circle. I highly recommend driving around it six or seven times before turning off, it really pisses off the locals.

On Parking:
You know I am a tight-ass when it comes to paying to park. Six years ago, I stayed downtown for a conference and they gave me a parking permit, I still have and use when I am in town, and they share the lot with a T.G.I.F’s kind of a win-win for me. For other sites I use a “Visiting Clergy” sign, these are readily available from any sign store, I paid 22.50 for mine, but it is top-end, and it has more than paid for itself to-date.

On State Meetings:
Well, the new administration/junta is already making itself felt, state funders and contractors are running scared and what’s worst, there were no donuts or coffee for a statewide morning meeting. To those of you who forwarded me Mitch’s website for the state jobs, I say thank-you, always nice to have some salt rubbed in one of my many wounds.

On My Weekend:

Friday: night was hockey night, and I found it enjoyable to watch a sport that I know very little about. It managed to keep my attention for about 27 minutes, at which point I had my fill of free food (meatballs and ham sandwiches) at the hospitality suite. Gladly I was called away, and spent the rest of the evening going to some of the same old places (dinning on tuna steaks at one establishment and an assortment of pickled farm produce at another) and seeing the same old people; there is some degree of joy in that while things might change, others remain the same. I give a large Thank-You, to my colleagues from the hospital for taking me out.

Saturday: Well dear reader, I taught a class at the local university (I am often a guest lecturer) and was done by 12:00, which allowed me to get home and move a TV into the up-stairs bathroom construction site and watch the ND-Tenn game. What a game it was.

Later that evening, I joined the Sweet and Kind Mrs. John Q. Public at a local venue for a concert. She had the honor of entertaining Megadeath from 10:AM till 2:AM. What a fun group of lads they were and the poetry they expressed, it might sound odd but the lead singer and I discussed at length, the influence of both Boxcar Willie and Slim Whitman on his rather complex renditions of Beethoven that the band played that night. Once again, I enjoyed free food and drink back-stage.

Sunday: Mass, and leave raking in the morning, and visiting with my dead family in the afternoon (it was tending graves time of year). For supper (I dined alone, the Eager and Pretty Mrs. John Q. Public decided to fill in as tour manger for Megadeath through the rest of their mid-west tour, saying she need a break from the boy band circuit) I fixed Sicilian sauce, butter, wine and olive-oil with fresh garlic (thanks to whoever packed my mail box with those 32 cloves) and shrimp on angel-hair pasta. It was wonderful; I and the hounds ate our fill. After dining, I read (the Confessions of St. Augustine & Life the Universe and Everything by Douglas Adams and a well thumbed copy of the Ranger Handbook) until sleep took me.

And, thus was my weekend.

Quotes for the Day:

There are two ways to slide easily through life; to believe everything or to doubt everything. Both ways save us from thinking.
Alfred Korzybski
US (Polish-born) author, logician, & scientist (1879 - 1950)

And:

Own only what you can carry with you; know language, know countries, know people. Let your memory be your travel bag.
Alexander Solzhenitsyn
Russian author & dissident in US (1918 - )

I remain.

JQP