Tuesday, November 23, 2004

The Point of the Spear

On How My Days at Work Go:
I happen to feel that the degree of a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting attitudes he or she can bring to bear on the same topic. Lisa Alther, Kinflicks, 1975. Kind of sums it up, doesn’t it?

On Work Life Separation:
I was at a meeting last night and someone asked me “how do you do your work and not take it home with you” Its an easy answer, you don’t, the shit is always with you, and yes it will eat your insides up, if you let it. However you can get callous to it, I had a good friend who gave me a good rule of thumb, that if you ever go two weeks without getting really pissed off or hurt by something you see on the job, it’s a good time to leave. All these years and I am still waiting to get past four days.

On my plans for the Day:
I am on the road most of today; I should ask Mitch if I could borrow his RV. I get to see more of the great state of Indiana than anyone should have to. But, I can tell you where to go to eat in 53 counites and who has the best pie.

On Birds:
I am picking up some poultry (ducks and geese) from a friend who raises these birds “free-range” in Benton Co. He assures my they will be dead and dressed but I am taking other clothes just in case.

On cooking:
Ok, I am now cooking for Thanksgiving; I will be making Sweet Potato Pie (6 of them). But, that’s it. However, I did get a recipe from a friend down in Mississippi for chicken marinated for two days in sweet tea and four lemons, with one diced large onion and two tea spoons of salt, then grilled. So, it sounds like good tailgate food along with Cuban Sandwiches (I have been starving for them).

On Map Maker:
Like Politicians or members of Bush’s Cabinet, don’t trust Mapmaker. You think it will take you where you want to go, but damn once your there. …enough said.

On Sports:
Just when I was about ready to give up; South Carolina and Clemson, both said they would not play in any Bowl games, due to how their players acted last Saturday. Lou said no matter what, he would not coach them. It's one of those good reminders of what it means to be a Southerner. Damn, that’s a lesson for all of us; they are taking it on the chin. My foul, coach.

On lost Souls:
Two searches that brought people to my shores this morning:

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=articles+steamy+hot+booty&ei=UTF-8&fl=0&xargs=0&pstart=1&fr=FP-tab-web-t&b=691

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=lifestyle+and+roles+living+in+the+trenchs&sp=1&toggle=1&ei=UTF-8&fr=FP-tab-web-t&SpellState=n-2

On learning a foreign language as an Adult:
Taking up tight-wire walking or professional wrestling is easier. As an adult, I find that for me some things I can read and write easy and some things I can pronounce easy, but when you combine those two forms of communication the results are less than satisfactory. Don’t believe me; try writing every third word when you chatting with a friend.

Doing my Duty, Like a Good Soldier

JQP