Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Sand in my Metaphorical Shorts:

profile

Thought of the Day:
For four-fifths of our history, our planet was populated by pond scum.
J. W. Schopf

On Reliable News Sources:
My top means of keeping my finger on the pulse of not only the nation but humanity at large: Soldier of Fortune, Readers Digest and Blogger. What more does a man of vision need.

On Work:
I have pulled something cool off with the Federal government and several unnamed agencies (suffice to say they go by the normal three capital letters). As a result I have been working on a fed-grant that is due Friday, which if you have ever written a federal grant you would understand that about a month is the right turn around time to complete one. The cool thing is if we get it, there is a lot of good that can be done for the great citizens of the American Southwest.

On Cross Cultural Communications:
Friday last my Flower and I were invited to a listen to a live band at an Indian Bar. We went and in doing so I learned a few things about the local Native American culture. They dance in a large circle to a band doing 70’s cover songs. I had lots of beer and shots bought for me. They don’t like white people generally and at their bars in particular. Lets just say it was an interesting evening. One thing I have noticed, is that in dangous places and events, I have gotten a lot better about leaving before I end up A) jailed B) in the hospital C) in a shallow grave, having coyotes dig for my bones out in the desert somewhere.

On Last Night:
Kevin the Cosmonaut took me out for a pre-birthday week dinner at a German restaurant in Mesa (which somehow supports several fine German establishments) who knew that Germans love the desert and large permanent RV parks that cater to those on a fixed income. The food was excellent, Pork Shank and Bavarian Semmelknödel. My tummy was happy and I made it home by 8:00 pm, sober. I had turned down his first offer of paying our way into a Asian health spa. Behold the power of old age and wisdom (that and a scary wife).

Today’s Bill:
"So wise so young, they say do never live long."
From King Richard III (III, i, 79)

Quote of the Day:
There is no nonsense so arrant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action.
Bertrand Russell

I remain the equivalent of the cable TV installment appointment of your teenage ambitions:

JQP esq.