Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Soylent Green and other tips for Entertaining:

Thought for the Day:
I happen to feel that the degree of a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting attitudes she can bring to bear on the same topic.
Lisa Alther, Kinflicks, 1975

bull figthing midgets
(Combative Mexican Bull Fighting Midgets high on Crystal Meth haunt my very soul.)

The Day Ahead:
Today I meet with my boss, for our weekly “don’t bullshit me, what really happened” meeting, followed by a meeting of a community board I sit on, after that some teaching in the early afternoon, and rounding out the day, a meeting with a few officers of the courts.

Yes, another action packed day for yours truly, manning the ramparts of Western Civilization and defending the virtue of women everywhere.

Points of Discussion:
After an experimental dinner, which I found to be less than satisfying (never trust a recipe that involves meats, dried peppers and flat Pepsi) my bride insisted upon a walk, which I reluctantly agreed upon. She does some of her best thinking and instruction giving on these walks, which might or might not have added to my reticence. During the walk, I was instructed on my duties around the manor house over the up-coming weeks, you see my rich in-laws are coming up from the Sunshine State, for (now get this) two weeks. Yes, two weeks of extended family bliss.

At some point I will regale you the reader with how when last my father in-law and I visited, I threatened him with bodily harm. Using the classic line “if you don’t shut the fuck-up, I am going to kick your ass right here in your own Tiki Hut, & in front of your family, now you don’t want that do you?” Needless to say, I have a few reservations about our up coming encounter.

Add to that, that my petite and loving bride becomes someone I don’t know when she is around her father, a combination of a 9 year old girl and a psychotic person who the voices in her head are commanding and you the reader might get a little taste of my situation . …and to think I bitched about having to go up to the UP of Michigan to spend holidays with other members of her primitive shoeless, dog eating tribe.

It's really no wonder that I have trouble sleeping at night.

To answer a question posed by an avid reader; a Sample of Today’s Play List:
Flight of the Cosmic Hippo - Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
I Heard the Jukebox Playing - Kitty Wells
Back in Black – AC/DC
I Wanna Be a Cowboy Sweetheart - Dixie Chicks
Green Onions - Booker T and the MGs
Don Quichote - Magazine 60
Summertime - Booker T and the MGs
All the Way - Lee Morgan
Minuet (Boccherini)
Poor Boy Blues - Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler
Wild Side of Life - Hank Thompson
I'm Blue Again - Patsy Cline
Dede Priscilla - Lea Lignanzi
Lawyers, Guns and Money – Warren Zevon
Caballo Viejo - Robert Torres
Beale Street Mama - Cab Calloway
Emabhaceni - Miriam Makeba

Today’s Bill:

SONNET 34
Why didst thou promise such a beauteous day,
And make me travel forth without my cloak,
To let base clouds o'ertake me in my way,
Hiding thy bravery in their rotten smoke?
'Tis not enough that through the cloud thou break,
To dry the rain on my storm-beaten face,
For no man well of such a salve can speak
That heals the wound and cures not the disgrace:
Nor can thy shame give physic to my grief;
Though thou repent, yet I have still the loss:
The offender's sorrow lends but weak relief
To him that bears the strong offence's cross.
Ah! but those tears are pearl which thy love sheds,
And they are rich and ransom all ill deeds.

Quote of the Day:
It is a profitable thing, if one is wise, to seem foolish.
Aeschylus

I remain, the model citizen of a Brave New Century:

JQP esq.