Monday, May 08, 2006

Incense, Midget brides and Mixed Drinks:

Thought for the Day:
So much of what we call management consists in making it difficult for people to work.
Peter Drucker

arab boobs
(Contrary to most Westerners view, shariah law is at times very enlightened)

The Weekend Review:
Friday, my kind and gentle wife and I attended a truly multicultural event, a Syrian Cinco de Mayo party, replete with dancing girls and chip dip. On of the more interesting parties I have been to in sometime. In attendance at the party were a few names that might be familiar to you the long time reader: Baba Ganoush Girl (our hostess), M. Chamberlain “Man about Town”, OB/GY Kenobi and his wife Land o’ Lakes girl, assorted children, people who have over stayed their student visas and the usual hangers-on.

The only crisis of the party was in the music taste, Mexican, Syrian, and 70’s disco. I found myself wishing for some Frank Zappa (he was after all of Lebanese decent) or some Deep Purple. But, then again, I am old school that way. I did break OB/GY Kenobi’s prized pipe, for which I am still regretful. At 10, I gathered my bride and made an exit, since we both had to labor in the morning.

Saturday, I taught all morning and then came in the office to tend to the labors at hand, leaving work around 2, to arrive home to my flower, who after her morning gig had mowed the lawn (with that damn power mower), and cooked a fest. After, our mid-day meal, we napped and read a bit. Later in the day we watched the Derby, no we didn’t go this year, and no we didn’t go to the party down Indy way, and no we didn’t even have any Mint Juleps, which was just as well, because my picks for the race sucked has is my norm.

One thing I would suggest, is that if you ever get a chance to go to the Derby, do, it really is kick ass, even if you don’t buy one of those 1000.00 Mint Juleps they were pushing on TV. Special thanks go to John (my new found bookie) who called and placed a bet for me, you’re a good man John. After my loss I decided to stay in for the night, she watched bad movies from the 80’s and I read a book by a Zambian writer. We turned in around 10pm.

Sunday, I woke at 4am, bathed and went and weeded my gardens, until it was time for the early Mass. I left my bride to her slumbers. I often enjoy Mass by myself, so it was no big deal, that and just me and some old people show up that early, so its usually a quick one.

After Mass, I went and did a little shopping, went to the book store (shocker, the Bros. Hyde are breaking up, they have been the best rare and used book store in the Midwest for years, I have not been this shocked since Van Halen booted Dave Lee Roth), and then to home, where my bride made a huge breakfast, pork chops, new potatoes, eggs over easy, rye toast and cream cheese. This was followed by a quick change of clothes and off we went to 3, yes count them three baptism parties, all little girls. Granted they really look pretty, but there is something creepy about little girls in mock wedding dresses. We spent by far the longest time at OB/GY Kenobi and his wife Land o’ Lakes girl’s daughters. That child raked in the Jesus themed gifts, and as always was as sweet as she could be.

After, such a wholesome day, we went to the Rugby Bar to even things out a bit, followed by a quick meal at the Macedonian Roadhouse, in order to finalize some plans for the up-coming event of the summer season to be held there on the 20th of this month.

We left and on the way home had one of the talks that married people only have after 3 to 6 drinks, not a fight, just one of “those-talks” which is often more scary than a fight. We were home in bed by 9pm, which was also when Cold Case was over (a new fav.) they ended the show with a song by Asia, which to this moment has remained stuck in my head.

All in all a quiet weekend, around the Public household.

Today:
Once again I descend into the Salt Mines of the human soul. My hope is to hide from any and/or all meetings and get some of the routine shit done that I have been lagging behind on.

Today’s Worthless Fact:
Estimated amount of glucose used by an adult human brain each day, expressed in M&Ms: 250 Harper's Index

Today’s Bill:

SONNET 33
Full many a glorious morning have I seen
Flatter the mountain-tops with sovereign eye,
Kissing with golden face the meadows green,
Gilding pale streams with heavenly alchemy;
Anon permit the basest clouds to ride
With ugly rack on his celestial face,
And from the forlorn world his visage hide,
Stealing unseen to west with this disgrace:
Even so my sun one early morn did shine
With all triumphant splendor on my brow;
But out, alack! he was but one hour mine;
The region cloud hath mask'd him from me now.
Yet him for this my love no whit disdaineth;
Suns of the world may stain when heaven's sun staineth

Quote of the Day:
The knowledge of the world is only to be acquired in the world, and not in the closet.
Phillip Earl Stanhope

I as always remain, much like a small metaphoric dog humping the leg of your self-esteem:

JQP esq.