Friday, March 25, 2005

...The Shadow Knows"

Thought for the Day:
A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog.
Jack London, US adventurer, author, & sailor (1876 - 1916)

Looking in Dark Corners:
Well, after much driving I once again find myself knee deep in the big muddy, where nothing is has it seems and the only thing you can count on is seeing mankind at both its worst and its best often in the same 20 min. span. That’s one thing about long drives they give you to much time to think, to much time to wonder, to mush time to look into who you are and way you do what you do. When I travel, its often not for a happy reason, its more often because they need a hired gun, or someone to show them how to do something.

There is a plus side, last night I got taken to dinner by the Chiefs of two Depts. They were genuinely good people who care about doing what’s right vs. what’s easy. We sat around and shared war stories and ol boy’ed it for the first hour, then the conversation took a turn. Both of them had been in the field for 20 to 30 years, we then spent the next three hours talking about the things that go bump in the night for all of us, those things that we have seen, that once seen can not be un-seen, those things that scar u,s that also serve to define us. Oddly, I felt like I had just gone through therapy when I was done. Some days things are good, even when they are bad.

Yes, I am going through that period on hauntings that come up every now and then. Small price to pay for the “job”.

To "Help get your Jesus" on:
For Good Friday: The Bible quotes seven last sentences that Jesus spoke from the Cross
"Father , forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing."
(Luke 23:34)
"Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise."
(Luke 23 :43)
"Woman,here is your son….Here is your mother"
(John 19:26)
"Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?"
(My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?) (Mark 15:34)
"I am thirsty"
(John 19:28)
"It is finished"
(John 19:30)
"Father, into your hands I commend my spirit"
(Luke 23:46)
I thought that with what’s been in the news as of late, it might be good to go to the source for some guidance.

Your Recipe for the Weekend:
(This is what I am cooking for 50 this Sunday)

Barbecued Butterflied Leg of Lamb with Mint

1 Leg of lamb (5-6 lb)*
3/4 c Balsamic vinegar
1/3 c Mint jelly
1/3 c Minced fresh mint leaves
Fresh mint sprigs (opt)
Salt
Pepper

* - boned and trimmed of surface fat

Lay meat boned side up. Slash about halfway through
thickest portions, as needed, and pull meat, patting cut edges
down, to make the piece relatively even.

Place lamb in a 9x13" pan. In a 1 1/2 quart pan over
medium-high heat, stir vinegar with 1/3 cup mint jelly just
until boiling. Stir in mint and pour evenly over lamb. Cover
and chill 2 hours or up to a day. Turn meat over occasionally.

On firegrate in a barbecue, with a lid, ignite 50-60
charcoal briquettes. When briquettes are dotted with ash, in about
30 minutes, spread them into a single layer; scatter 10-12
more briquettes over coals. Set grill 5-6" above coals. Lift
meat onto grill; reserve marinade. Put lid on barbecue and
open vents.

Turn meat as needed to brown evenly; baste with marinade.
Cook until thickest part of meat is done to your liking; for
rare (140' on a thermometer) in center of thickest part, allow
about 40 minutes total. Thinner sections will be well done.

Transfer lamb to a platter and let rest 5-10 minutes.
Garnish with mint sprigs. Slice meat thin. Season to taste
with mint jelly, salt, and pepper.

Your Bill for the Day:
"I hold the world but as the world, Gratiano,
A stage where every man must play a part,
And mine a sad one."

--From The Merchant of Venice (I, i, 77-79)

Your Poem of the Week:

XCVIII
FROM you have I been absent in the spring,
When proud-pied April dress'd in all his trim
Hath put a spirit of youth in every thing,
That heavy Saturn laugh'd and leap'd with him.
Yet nor the lays of birds nor the sweet smell
Of different flowers in odour and in hue
Could make me any summer's story tell,
Or from their proud lap pluck them where they grew;
Nor did I wonder at the lily's white,
Nor praise the deep vermilion in the rose;
They were but sweet, but figures of delight,
Drawn after you, you pattern of all those.
Yet seem'd it winter still, and, you away,
As with your shadow I with these did play:
(Yes, I know its also from Bill, but I am in a Bill mood today)

Quote of the Day:
It is by universal misunderstanding that all agree. For if, by ill luck, people understood each other, they would never agree.
Charles Baudelaire, French poet (1821 - 1867)

A very Joyful Easter and as always I remain:

JQP (just a man, like anyother)