Monday, September 27, 2004

Out-Rage at Injustice, the stuff I get in the mail

For Sept. 27th 2004

A friend writes:

Just thought I would take a moment from my studies (the Indiana Drivers manual, my mother thinks I should learn to drive so I don’t depend on her anymore, she is in her late 70’s you know) ….anyway, I wanted to share something rather disturbing, that happened to me over the weekend.

I was once again asked to leave our local Wal-Mart store, and this morning I was presented with a restraining order given to me right here at the front door of my trailer (can you just imagine the shame, I feel like I am on last weeks episode of COPS) .

It seems that only "Wal-Mart employees" can give old people carts and tell them to have a good day. I have been doing this off and on at least 4 hours a day for the past six-months, often between the hours to 2:38am and 5:14am, I feel that that is when their staffing patterns are at the lowest and my eagerness to be a good citizen is of most benefit.

I even had my mother make me a blue smock to help the employees feel I was a bit more of their team. (and isn’t that what we all are, a team, like team America, and what’s more American than Wal-Mart, I mean look at those prices, I have not seen things that cheap since my second tour in Asia, and it wasn’t TV trays I was looking for then, if you know what I mean).

Well, anyway it seems some of the “customers” were put off with my willingness to help make their shopping experience a memorable one. Now how many of you have ever watched old people shop? Its almost painful, I think most of them I have helped in the past few months have enjoyed the “flying-shopping-tour” of the store I give them, and so what if I insist on packing their groceries into the baskets of my three-wheeled-bike, I am like come on, have you ever seen the inside of some old peoples cars? Let alone the smell of some of them (both the old and the cars), I gladly then peddle the things to their home no matter how long it takes, unless of course my ankles have started hurting, in which case I may stop at my home for a few hours to elevate them and use my heating pad, but has soon has I am feeling better I once again jump right back on, and continue my mission (kind of like the Navy SEALS).

I like to consider it a full service service, I even insist on putting them (the groceries) away. I think that most people would welcome the helpful manner in which I provide not only my time but my limitless skill base just to ease the discomfort and/or pain of my fellow Wal-Mart shoppers, and most of all I do this as a volunteer, yes, a Wal-Mart volunteer, the only thing more American than Wal-Mart after all is being a volunteer.

When I was at the center, I had many staff members, and not a few state employees say, “John, you know perhaps you should get out more, become involved in things and maybe even volunteer somewhere”. Well, dear friends this is the thanks I get, I guess its ok to volunteer as long has its not at some fancy-pants Wal-Mart store, I have not had my feelings hurt this much since I tried to volunteer at the Tri-State gun club, the Shrine Temple (to be one ask one my butt), or the pre-school.

Don’t worry about me, I will make out ok! Anyway, my mother just called and said there is a Dollar Store opening in a few weeks downtown, and that would be much handier, I could go volunteer there, right after the city council meetings (I am after all a community watch-dog). Now I have to get back to my hobbies http://www.indianamilkbottles.com/ come join in the fun!