Friday, May 02, 2008

I am the Sunshine of your Life:

bros pic
(This Blog Endorses O’bama, after all we always vote Irish)

Quote of the Day:
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. Herbert Spencer

The fast paced lifestyle of JQP et al…
Well, kids, after being back in Indiana for 24 hours it is once again time to hit the road. I am after all a rolling stone/rambling man… wherever I hang my hat is my home (this was for you fans of popular music from the late 60’s to the mid-70’s).

Myself and I loving and dutiful wife, Mrs. JQP, are on our way to Indianapolis this evening, for a dinner with friends at St. Elmo’s which is possibly the best steakhouse in the world. After which we will be having drinks and sausages at the Rathskeller. In the very early morning we along with various hangers-on will be making my spiritual pilgrimage.

Yes, dear reader…I am off to the Kentucky Derby. If nothing else tune in and watch me sing "My Old Kentucky Home" …I am after all if nothing else an accomplished vocalist.

I cant decide what to wear, my Loving and Petite wife, bought a hat and a poka-dot sun dress in Charleston last week. I am thinking about either my seersucker suit, ascot, and Panama hat, or my new Kilt… I am leaning toward the kilt, the chicks dig it….of course with a Citadel Rugby jersey (On a side note: I spoke at the Citadel Tuesday and they bought me breakfast, I so fucking rock).

searsucker+at+bungalow

Or….

Kilt and tators


tray guy

Your drinks for the weekend:

You will need:

2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups water (branch water is ideal)
Fresh Mint
Crushed Ice
Kentucky Bourbon (2 ounces per serving)

Make a simple mint syrup* by boiling sugar and water together for 5 minutes; cool. Place in a covered container with 6 or 8 bruised mint sprigs. Refrigerate overnight.
Make a julep by filling a julep cup* or glass with crushed ice, then adding 1 tablespoon of mint syrup and 2 ounces of bourbon. Stir rapidly with a spoon to frost outside of cup or glass. Garnish with a fresh mint sprig..

*This makes enough syrup for about 44 juleps.

Extra Tips:
Always use a premium Kentucky bourbon
Use crushed or shaved ice and pack in cup.
To bruise mint, place in a cup and gently pass the back of a spoon between cup and the leaves a time or two. You want the mint to release some of the fragrant oils.
Add a straw cut to protrude just above the rim of the cup and serve. You should be able to get a faint whiff of the mint sprig when you're sipping.
Keep the covered syrup in the refrigerator (after removing the mint leaves) if you don't plan on drinking all the servings.. Enjoy later....

Your Song of the Day:

My Old Kentucky Home
By Mr. Stephen C. Foster
(who built the first cotton gin, invented peanut butter and the steam engine)

The sun shines bright in the old Kentucky home,
'Tis summer, the people are gay;
The corn-top's ripe and the meadow's in the bloom,
While the birds make music all the day.

The young folks roll on the little cabin floor,
All merry, all happy and bright;
By 'n' by Hard Times comes a-knocking at the door,
Then my old Kentucky home, goodnight.

CHORUS

Weep no more my lady
Oh! weep no more today!
We will sing one song for the old Kentucky home,
For the Old Kentucky Home far away.

They hunt no more for the possum and the coon,
On meadow, the hill and the shore,
They sing no more by the glimmer of the moon,
On the bench by the old cabin door.

The day goes by like a shadow o'er the heart,
With sorrow, where all was delight,
The time has come when the people have to part,
Then my old Kentucky home, goodnight.

CHORUS

The head must bow and the back will have to bend,
Wherever the people may go;
A few more days, and the trouble all will end,
In the field where the sugar-canes grow;

A few more days for to tote the weary load,
No matter, 'twill never be light;
A few more days till we totter on the road,
Then my old Kentucky home, goodnight.

CHORUS

Your Weekend links for a Goodtime:

http://www.kentuckyderby.com/2008/
http://www.stelmos.com/
http://www.rathskeller.com/
http://www.medicinenet.com/colostomy_a_patients_perspective/page5.htm
http://www.notsoboringlife.com/pipe-smoking/guide-to-pipe-smoking/

Thought of the Day:
Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase.
Martin Luther King Jr.

I remain, much like your favorite Uncle, when he got out of Prison:

JQP esq.