Tuesday, May 30, 2006

On Holiday:

stripers slit my break line
(Damn, the strippers slit my break-line.)

I trust everyone had as relaxing and refreshing holiday as I did. I am on the road so not a lot of time to bring everyone up to speed, so for your edification a weekend list:

Friday, I went home and read for a bit and turned in early ie: 6:30, I didn’t wake till 7am.

7 days ago it was 50, this weekend it was 90… damn Indiana.

I taught a class on Saturday, 70% no-show rate, wow, who would have guessed.

I worked in the extensive gardens of the wonderland like estate in which I reside.

I didn’t watch the Indy 500, chiefly because I don’t care.

I got very drunk with Tattoo John and two fellow tenured professors (think the James Gang on rot gut rye whisky, bennies & Hemingway), luckily my flower could drive us around.

I got punched in the face by Tattoo John, which I found quite humorous (he hits like a girl).

I went to Mass, very hung-over… so of course I was asked to fill-in for the reading.

I marched in two veterans parades.

I went to a friend’s home Sunday afternoon and made explosives out of normal household products (by request), which we then tried to blow out a tree stump with, my ears are still ringing, unlike the others who didn’t understand the concept of screaming “fire in the hole”, (on a side note, Mrs. JQP is right her home-made salve is good for flash burns). The tree stump still remains, and yes, I still suck at forming shaped charges. However, I did have a few Rolling Rocks and some laughs. Who says hanging out with Bosnians on student visas can’t be fun.

Sunday night, I cooked two 30oz steaks I had been saving, along with asparagus, however, I started with shrimp cocktails and Bloody Mary’s, which dear reader cures anything.

Monday, my loving bride invited the neighbor’s dog over for a play date with our hounds, after I expressly forbade it. The dog of course dug up all of my heirloom tomatoes and exotic collection of hot peppers, I did not speak to her until…

...I fell off the roof, at which point I needed a ride to the local hospital, thankGod my high speed paratrooper training saved my life, however I now am the proud owner of three broken ribs and 24 stitches.

I am like Norm at Cheers in ER.

I met my deductible, so now I can tap into my medical savings account.

Even wounded, I made cracklen corn bread, smoked pork chops and greens for supper Monday night.

Later, I made up with my loving wife, mostly because I was afraid of her.

I watched American History X, for the first time in years, plus parts of the Law and Order Criminal Intent marathon, I identify with Goren.

J. Thom the Jazz Man, called three times, to finalize his plans to meet in Indy the 15th for a group birthday celebration, even though it’s my turn to head to Memphis.

Your Recipe for the Week:

Sardine Tart Recipe
(This is a summer time treat the whole family can enjoy!)

Ingredients:
175 g (6 oz) shortcrust pastry
110 g (4 1/2 oz) can sardines in oil
1 small onion, skinned and finely sliced
juice of 1 lemon
65 g (2 1/2 oz) natural yogurt, one tbl spoon of green curry added.
65 ml (2 1/2 fl oz) fresh single cream
2 oz (50 g) cottage cheese
2 eggs, beaten
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Fresh parsley to garnish

How:
1. Roll out the pastry and use to line an 18 cm (7 inch) flan ring.
2. Drain the oil from the sardines into a small pan and use to fry the onion until soft. Remove from the pan and place on the base of the flan case. Sprinkle with half the lemon juice.
3. Beat together the yogurt, fresh cream, cottage cheese, eggs and seasoning. Pour over the onions. Arrange the sardines on top like the spokes of a wheel. Sprinkle with the remaining lemon juice and freshly ground pepper.
4. Bake in the oven at 220°C (425°F) mark 7 for 15 minutes then reduce the temperature to 180°C (350°F) mark 4 for a further 25 minutes. Serve hot or cold garnished with parsley.

Servings: serves 4-6


I remain a trend-setter in the world of fashion:

JQP esq.