Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The mortar fire has just stopped:

robertapedonhairy

Thought for the Day:
With reasonable men I will reason; with humane men I will plea; but to tyrants I will give no quarter, nor waste arguments where they will certainly be lost.
William Lloyd Garrison

12 things about me, that I think prove that I am just a Normal Guy:

1) I often wake up humming Disco tunes (this morning it was “Ring my Bell”).

2) I kiss my wife’s ass every chance I get.

3) I when inebriated will often sing one of the following: Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald, Molly Malone, or Dixie.

4) The last fist fight I was in, I broke my hand and arm. Yes, I hit that hard.

5) I go to Mass, even though people tend to piss me off.

6) I do all the cooking at our home.

7) I can speak three or four sentences in over 14 languages. However, I never understand the replies.

8) Better luck next time (as in next life) is my New Years mantra.

9) I am in debit up to my perfectly round white mans ass.

10) I vote democrat because they are the ones closest to looking out for the ‘Little Guy”.

11) I like women who look like women.

12) I am singularly hansom.

Proof that when I was younger I was the only Amish-Catholic NASCAR driver:
Amish Race

Comments on the News:

Physician Assisted Suicide:
Ok, so now you have the right to end your life if you’re dieing from some horrible disease (only in Oregon). My hope would be that other state legislature jump on that band wagon as the boomers age. Anyone, who has held the hand of someone dieing a slow painful death, being keep alive by the entire cast of St. Elsewhere, would understand. You live your life, pay your taxes, serve your country and raise your children, well then damn you should have the right to make an informed medical decision about when check-out time is.

Big Brother:
“The disclosure that Bush authorized warrantless surveillance of telephone calls and e-mail between Americans and people overseas suspected of links to al-Qaida or other terrorist groups. Bush has defended the program as a vital tool in a fast-moving battle against elusive enemies, and he has cited the inherent powers of the presidency in circumventing a long-established secret court that issues warrants in intelligence cases.

The American Civil Liberties Union and the Center for Constitutional Rights filed separate lawsuits Tuesday claiming Bush exceeded his authority and violated Fourth Amendment guarantees against unreasonable searches and seizures by ordering the National Security Agency surveillance.”

Ok, so we have secret courts, a President who has lied, and an intelligence agency that says “don’t worry we are not spying on you, just the bad guys”. I am sorry, but I don’t trust them, not at all. Don’t think they are not reading your blogs, a what does it take to be a person of interest? A hit on your blog from someone in the mid-east? From a green party member? From some animal rights activist? They and their secret courts decide. Your Bill of Rights went right out the window with the Patriot Act, hate to say it but I called it.

On another Note:
I am starting to sound like a libertarian. More and more, I am becoming a fan of individual rights.

Today’s Bill:
SONNET 42
That thou hast her, it is not all my grief,
And yet it may be said I loved her dearly;
That she hath thee, is of my wailing chief,
A loss in love that touches me more nearly.
Loving offenders, thus I will excuse ye:
Thou dost love her, because thou knowst I love her;
And for my sake even so doth she abuse me,
Suffering my friend for my sake to approve her.
If I lose thee, my loss is my love's gain,
And losing her, my friend hath found that loss;
Both find each other, and I lose both twain,
And both for my sake lay on me this cross:
But here's the joy; my friend and I are one;
Sweet flattery! then she loves but me alone.

Quote of the Day:
Men are wise in proportion, not to their experience, but to their capacity for experience.
James Boswell, Life of Samuel Johnson, 1791

I remain, the big kid who smokes on the back of the school bus of your life:

JQP esq.