Thursday, February 03, 2005

Dispatches from the Front:

Thought for the Day:
He who lives without folly isn't so wise as he thinks.
Francois de La Rochefoucauld, French author & moralist (1613 - 1680)

On Sleeping Easy:
On the home front things have quieted down a bit. As is the custom of the primitive band of Kelts we belong to, she has moved into the “Woman’s Hut” for the next seven days. While this may sound rather unenlightened to some, please rest assured she looks forward to it.

My understanding is that her and the other women of the village eat lots of chocolate and salty snacks, give each other back and foot massages, write poems about their menses, to include Odes to Sapo and the evils of men, and then watch old re-runs of Charmed and anything on the Animal Planet channel

However there is an occasional pillow fight and or bitchy comment said, in order to establish Alpha Female status (yes, as I am sure you know, it is a title that my Dear and Loving wife Mrs. JQP holds, women have been known to have their cycle adjust to hers just from riding in an elevator with her).

On a Late Night and Meeting my Deductible:
Yes, it was a late night, I had called my doctor to see when they could get me in and they said “can you come in around 6:00 or 7:00” so of course, I freaked out. Ok, have you every heard of a doctor saying they would come into see you that late? Fuck, I was like, am I sicker than I thought? Well, the answer to that is yes and no.

I guess what I had described to them were some rather serious side effects, which of course meant that once I got there, of the ER I went for IVs, shots, etc. Since I am big into self advocacy and a general pain in the ass, they under protest agreed to let me go home, after sitting in a room for 12 hours (I am sure it was a billing trick or something).

It allowed me time to think, pondering some of the things that the latest illness had taught me, 1) perhaps when you start to get sick and you say its nothing but your still fuck 12 days later you should go in, not wait a full month, 2) when they tell you to go home and stay home and not do any work, you should do it and most important, 3) when your drunk in a bar along the Coastal Pacific Highway in Nicaragua, you should not bet everyone (Pastor Bob, Tattoo John and Spike, you know the "crew") that that water is safe to drink and then proceed to drink 3 quarts just to prove a point, rest assured dear friends, you will prove a point.

So, needless to say, I am running on about 3 hours of sleep. You never get rest in a hospital, that and they had me hooked up to telemetry, so they all freaked out when I was watching the State of the Union address.

On Tonight:
Well, since mamma bear is indisposed, I am thinking that that smart move would be to go home, fix myself something nice to eat, watch some Law and Order and turn in early since I am running on very little sleep and am currently under doctors’ care.

Yes, that would be the smart and safe thing. But I ask you, where is the adventure in that? And you know I have the soul of a gypsy and the impulse control of a 13 year old hormonal boy with ADD.

So, there is a good chance I will go out…to my favorite bar and then perhaps to establishment that caters to patrons of the art of modern interpretive dance, such as myself, that and I hear that the strip-club out in the industrial park has a new midget dancer, now I ask you who wouldn’t pay to see that? That and I know the managers of most of the clubs so I get in without paying a cover (yes, I am a tight ass).

On the State of the Union:
Ok, I would…but it’s too easy and I am too pissed, but I will, soon oh yes, I will…

But I will say this:
Q: How can you tell when W’s telling a lie?
A: The little fucking pricks mouth is moving.

On Paul Whitesell:
Ok, a few months ago, I commented on “My Man Mitch” naming Dr. Paul Whitesell as head of the Indiana State Police. Since that time I have had numerous friends and colleagues approach me in the subject. While in agreement that “Doc Whitsell” is probability the scariest human being they have ever met (to the point that four of them said that if he was after them they would a) kill themselves, b) buy a sniper rife and hope for a good shot, before he got them, c) start digging a deep bunker d) and perhaps the most practical, move out of the country, to some place he might not have black bag ops contacts, which I understand to be limited to the Principality of Monaco, Swaziland, and the Papal New Guinea Island chain).

One takes notice when a former Green Beret, Navy Seal, Marine Recon, Delta Force, Air Commando, SAS, French Foreign Legion, solder (it depends on who you ask and how much they have had to drink, the guy is a bit of a hero in some circles and trust me these are circles you don’t want to run it). Is appointed the "States Top Cop", yes brothers and sisters, there is a new sheriff in town, and that just may be a necklace made from human ears hanging from his neck. So, a word of advice, don’t speed in Indiana’s Highway and State Routes and if you do and get caught, be very, very fucking polite.

Now of a more serous note, my understanding is that when he got to the ISP HQ, he called a meeting of all the Dept heads and wanted to know who everyone was they had assigned to them, what they were doing and what there strengths are, good start in my book, accountability and strengths management. But then it gets better, he drew a uniform, issued himself a car and gun and then started patrolling.

Now, at his level that is un-fuck-ing heard of, a balls to the wall move and true to his nature, you cant lead from behind and you don’t get respect unless you earn it and the best way to earn it is to do the job. Golf-Clap to Doc…good show, good form!

So, I stand corrected, he just might be ok… But I still don’t trust “My Man Mitch”, his Boss. On a side note , I have met Dr. Whitesell several times, just a hi, how are you thing, at a few trainings. Seemed ok, but I didn’t talk to him long enough to get a good take on the man. Well, that being said, could who ever put the horse head in my bed this morning and fire bombed my garage tell him I take it back?

Your Drinks of the Week:

Presidente Margarita
Shaken on the rocks in 10-14 oz salted Margarita glass
Ingredients:
1 1/2 oz. Sauza Tres Generations Tequila
1/4 oz. Grand Marnier
1/4 oz. Presidente Brandy
Splash of Roses Lime Juice
Splash of Orange Juice
Fill with Sweet and Sour
Garnish with Lime wedge

Kiss My Cocoanuts
Chill and Stain in 7 oz. Rocks Glass
Ingredients:
1oz. Malibu
1/2 oz. Apple Pucker
Fill With Sweet Sour and 7 up

(Enjoy, next week I think I might share my Kim Chi Bloody Mary recipe, its not for the faint of heart, and thanks to DB and RJ for this weeks drink submissions)

Your Southern words/phrase for the Week:
Druthers -- Usually, the lesser of two evils: "If I had my druthers, I'd rather marry the gal than get shot by her Pa"

and…

I'll Just Be John Brown -- I'll Be Damned

Your Greek God/Goddess/Myth for the Week:
Sirens: Hybrid creatures in Greek mythology who were half bird and half woman. In Homer, there were two Sirens on an island in the western Mediterranean. Their number later increased to three or more. The names most commonly given are Parthenope, Ligeia and Leucosia. They were said to be the daughters either of the sea god Phorkys or of the river god Acheloos.

They were depicted in Greek art either as birds with the heads of women, or as winged women with bird legs. They were known for luring sailors to their island with their bewitching song, where their victims starved to death. Odysseus managed to escape them by having his men stop up their ears with wax and tie him to the mast of his boat.

When the Argonauts had to pass them, Orpheus sang a song that was even more enchanting than theirs, so that the sailors paid no attention to them.

(I think I dated one of them once)

Your Bill for the Day:
"O, beware, my lord of jealousy; It is the green-ey'd monster which doth mock The meat it feeds on." --From Othello (III, iii, 165-167)

Quote of the Day:
It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.
Voltaire, French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)

Nothing if not Resilient, I remain:

JQP esq.